General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

phone connection issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phone connection issue

Hi everybody!

This is my first post here, as I'm a new owner of the 2012 XC-70 Platinum.

Here's a problem that drives me nuts!

My wife and I both paired up our cellphones with the car's bluetooth system. However, the system only connects automatically to the last phone it previously connected to.

Say, I'm driving this car most of the time, and as soon as I start it, my phone automatically connects via bluetooh to the car's system. So far so good. But when my wife takes the car, the system tries to connect to my phone first: "Trying to connect to Tom's phone". When it fails to detect my phone, it tries to locate previously connected phones. It always fails! The message then is: "No phone detected". She has to manually select her phone from the list, and then there's no problem -- the connection is successfully established.

Now, as long as she keeps driving this car, it is her phone that is now automatically connected. The next time I drive the car, I experience the same problem: "Trying to connect to Jenn's phone" --> fail --> "Trying to locate previously connected phones" --> fail --> "No phone detected" --> end. I need to manually select my phone from the list and hit "OK", and then I'm back in business.

How come the system is never able to "see" any previously connected phone, other than the last one that was used? Is this the way it was designed?

BTW, this is not specific to my car. Before this car was delivered to me, I drove a loaner car for a few weeks -- a brand new (2011?) S40, and the bluetooth behaved exactly the same! When I mentioned it to the sales person at the dealership, he didn't have any idea what I'm talking about. His response basically was: "Well, S40 is not a premium car, so who knows what kind of bugs are there. But your XC-70 is a much higher model, so you shouldn't have any of those issues." Yeah, right!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tommy