General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Rain water leaking into cabin

Old 12-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain water leaking into cabin

Hi VolvoForums! I stumbled upon your site and hoped that someone here might be able to help me with a problem I'm having.

I've got a 2005 Volvo S40 and am having trouble with rain water getting into the inside of the car on the floor by the passenger seat. I'm worried it might be caused by some sort of leaf-related clog from leaves going down the grating near the windshield wipers. I covered the area around the windshield wipers with plastic bags last night when it was raining and I didn't get any water leaking in. If I don't do that they'll be a LOT of water in there.

So my question is, is there a way for me to get to where the clog is and remove the problem? Or do you think it could be something else?

Thanks for your help in advance !

Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Probably not a clog, more likely a drain tube loose. You can get a water hose and spray it into the area and find where the tube is disconnected. Hopefully you will be able to find it. It is possible that the tube is clogged and you will need to clean it out.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the response rspi! I don't have a hose at my apartment but I filled up a couple empty milk jugs and poured them over the front of the car. Unfortunately this wasn't enough water I guess to replicate the problem.

However, I think I know where the water is coming in. It seems to be coming in from that air vent that's on the right of the glovebox (judging from droplets running down the door at that spot from the last time it rained).

Where does this air intake begin? I'm guessing that wherever this begins is where the problem originates.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Default water on passengers side

hello, i've chased a water leak similar to your description in my '02 v70xc.
common issues of clogged sunroof drains are easily cleared with polypropelene tubing and compressed air.
the drains under the cowl housing (between windsheild and fire wall under hood is another easily diagnosed problem. it may require you removing windsheild wiper arms. if clogged your cavity will have lots of water.

I found the lower windsheild trim (on bottom edge of windsheild, the cowl slides into it) to have a split at the underside edge, due to a windsheild replacement. this was alowing a drip to occur right into the intake of my heater blower which is completely exposed once you took the cowl off. this allowed rain to enter the blower and drip right on the toes of the passenger side.

trim replaced $70part and no water
just my experience, not a diagnosis

Last edited by wooded; 12-16-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Also you might want to remove the inside panels along the windshield. The ones inside the hose will sometimes pop out. Also where the tube goes outside gets clogged as well but is a major pain to clean.