General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

RainX Wiper Blades Suck In Cold Weather...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RainX Wiper Blades Suck In Cold Weather...

I picked up some mid-grade RainX wiper blades the other day and installed them on my S90. I was driving through the stupid snow storm in Oklahoma yesterday and found out the hard way that they suck! When the outside temperature dropped to 30 degrees, they just simply quit working on the drivers side. My daughter was behind me in my 960 and she was having the same problem with a pair of the RainX blades I put in there a few months ago. At times there was a patch of sludge the size of a basketball right in front of the drivers seat on both cars that looked real bad, especially while trying to pass 18-wheelers . Avoid these blades if you may have to experience cold weather driving. When the temp got above 30 they worked fine. Go figure.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
I picked up some mid-grade RainX wiper blades the other day and installed them on my S90. I was driving through the stupid snow storm in Oklahoma yesterday and found out the hard way that they suck! When the outside temperature dropped to 30 degrees, they just simply quit working on the drivers side. My daughter was behind me in my 960 and she was having the same problem with a pair of the RainX blades I put in there a few months ago. At times there was a patch of sludge the size of a basketball right in front of the drivers seat on both cars that looked real bad, especially while trying to pass 18-wheelers . Avoid these blades if you may have to experience cold weather driving. When the temp got above 30 they worked fine. Go figure.
Personally I like them much more than other brands. Been using Rain X blades for years on several different vehicles. If a low temperature or small amounts of ice build up on any blade will make them work poorly.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Administrator

What kind of car do you use them on?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
What kind of car do you use them on?
Have had them on my coupe for awhile. Last set I picked up the Latitude model. Driver's side tends to streak so my opinion of them is lower. Will try another and see if my opinion changes. Thinking though since they are spring less that they need more force from the actual wiper arm. May just need to replace it for proper performance.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator

What I'm starting to think the problem is, that they are not as high as the Volvo blades. So when they are attached, they do not have the proper pressure on the wiper blade and they are barely touching the glass. After thinking about it and driving down the road yesterday, the 960 blade arms do NOT touch the glass when they are parked, if there is no blade assembly attached. They sit about 1" off the glass. Also, I noticed them blowing around on the windshield when the wind was blowing over the car.

I bet they are about 1/4" to 1/2" shorter from blade to bracket. So bending the wiper arm a little will take care of the problem. I'm going to look into this more today, we are suppose to get rain later.

I've been a fan of Rain-X for about 25 years. It would be ashame to loose faith in them now.

Last edited by rspi; 03-23-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Well, I took a closer look at the wiper blade situation and when I turned the wipers on, and shut the car off when the blades were 1/2 way up the window, then pulled the blades off the arms... the arm hooks DO touch the glass of the windshield. So I don't think bending the wiper arms is the proper solution.

I'm back to my initial statement with a mild adjustment: Rain-X wiper blades such on 960's/S90's. The do not do a good job in foul snowy weather.