Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

RainX - Front/Rear Windshield Runoff Etc

Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RainX - Front/Rear Windshield Runoff Etc

For those of you with wagons especially...

It's a total PITA that whenever its wet out, the flat rear windshield is constantly covered....all air from the roof, and side windows, force all the runoff water onto the rear window....where it just sits untouched by wind once there, and making it impossible to see out of. You throw your rear wiper on, andjust as fast as its cleared, its covered again and you can't see.

I've thought of rigginga small spoiler to try to fix this, but I recently used RainX and it made a huge difference. The water runs off much quicker, and you don't have to keep your rear wiper on constantly (which I refuse to do). Give it shot...let me know what you think - or if you have other fixes/suggestions.

One other question I have for everybody has to do with the front windshield. Whenever I use the wiper fluid to clean the front window, the excess fluid wiped to the side runs off all over the drivers side window, and makes it impossible to have the window down or else it drips all over inside the car. This doesnt happen at all on the passenger side. I looked at the trim, as well as the wiper jet angles, and neither one really make me think it has anything to do with it.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RainX - Front/Rear Windshield Runoff Etc

I know of a few people who added the OEM spoiler to our wagons for just this reason. It also gives the wagon a sporty look.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM

hmmm. aside from the dealer (since I'd never buy from them), any suggestions on cheaper locations that sell them?

Old 05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know vlvworld.com had them but I don't see them anymore. Google is your friend?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: info2x

I know vlvworld.com had them but I don't see them anymore. Google is your friend?
[align=left] [/align]

nah. we had a fight. google isnt talking to me right now

Old 05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fixed the runoff from the front windshield. I got roof rails for my 98 V70 and had the trim pieces that run from the hood all the way to the back of the wagon sitting in the shed. My 97 had the plastic peeling off the molding. So I put the molding from the V70 on the 97 850 R. Had to cut if off when it ends at the back of the roof. The 98 trim has a lip that runs along the window on the drivers side which catches the water. See if you can find some 98 S70 Trim and they should have the lip and if fits the 850 just fine.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:20 PM

Man i never get the problem of washer fluid running off the windshield. Um, cuz my washer doesnt work.......

Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

I fixed the runoff from the front windshield. I got roof rails for my 98 V70 and had the trim pieces that run from the hood all the way to the back of the wagon sitting in the shed. My 97 had the plastic peeling off the molding. So I put the molding from the V70 on the 97 850 R. Had to cut if off when it ends at the back of the roof. The 98 trim has a lip that runs along the window on the drivers side which catches the water. See if you can find some 98 S70 Trim and they should have the lip and if fits the 850 just fine.
this sounds promising. but is the passenger side different from the drivers side?
I may just try to modify my drivers side trim since its only that side that runs off. The only thing I can think of is running a bead of silicone sealant along the trim to guide the water running up over.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Although expensive, you can get rain diverters from IPD. I think they're around $50 for the pair. - AB

Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 PM

I also have that problem on my 850, whenever I run the wipers in the rain or washing the windshield it will drip right on to the door panel. I sometimes want the window open when it there is a light rain to get air in rather than running the A/C to defog the interior, especially during the summer months. I am thinking fo the deflectors to go above the windows. Any ideas folks?

Old 05-11-2007, 01:29 PM

I meant to add that the difference between the drivers side and the passenger is that the wiper pulls the water up and away from the pass. side,unlike thedrivers side where ittakes it off thatside and it has nowhere to goexcept on to the door panel when the window is open. Figures right?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:14 PM

good thinking!
I think you're right.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Ward850T

I also have that problem on my 850, whenever I run the wipers in the rain or washing the windshield it will drip right on to the door panel. I sometimes want the window open when it there is a light rain to get air in rather than running the A/C to defog the interior, especially during the summer months. I am thinking fo the deflectors to go above the windows. Any ideas folks?
It depends on the type you're talking about. Most diverters go above the window. The IPD diverters attach to the windshield trim along the sides. You barely see them and they do a nice job. The previous owner had them on my car, but when I replaced the windshield I had them removed and sold them. - AB

Old 11-13-2008, 10:46 AM

RainX works great for me for both front and back windows. it's been raining forever here in new jersey. If it's not really heavy rain, I never use the wipers after a good RainX application. The water just drifts up and over. In the back is rolls down easily.

Has anybody used those new Rain X Latidude wipers? I hear they don't really work in snow weather too much. I was excited about buying a pair for the front, but after reading that I am not so sure anymore.