General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

S60 Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile S60 Build Questions

I am thinking of buying a new car and the s60 crossed my mind. I am hoping to do a COMPLETE overhaul of the car and do it reliably. This car will be a long term project and I want to do it responsibly. I am NOT doing this build out of a childish need for speed but I want to have a unique build and show what a beautiful machine a Volvo is through it's potential.

The most important parts of the build to me from greatest to least is the strenghtening of the engine from stronger internals, better bolt-ons and eventually a large turbo upgrade. I have no aspirations of increasing the power without an engine overhaul so I've come to you guys for answers.

-What would be the best s60 engine to start with for a ultimate sleeper?

-Would it be better to go with the T5 ad start with power or would it be more beneficial to my end product to overhaul a 2.5T?

-If I were to build the engine from top to bottom what components would I need, a complete list would be excellent? I want to have a tank of an engine when it is complete, unbreakable.

-What turbo can I put on the car to make it powerful as can be, how much modification would it take to put a Garrett GT2871r on or would that turbo even be possible?

-What are the limitations to the s60's AWD system and what are possible upgrades?

In the end I want a car that is unique as can be with more finesse than all of the boy racer cars out there on the track. It would greatly appreciate ANY of your input into the possibilities of the gorgeous s60.

-Evan

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum for starters.

I don't know if you know what your truly getting yourself into.

1. It sounds like you don't have the car. So you'll have to buy one. I'd go with an S60R if you cannot afford that then I'd go with the T5 version. $15,000-$30,000 right there.

2. While there is an aftermarket Volvo scene it is nowhere near what HONDA, TOYOTA, VW, BMW, AUDI, Etc... are. There just aren't a lot of parts out there for Volvo's. We have a lot in our own right, just not what other car manufac aftermarket companies have.

3. Your transmission will likely go before your engine. So I would highly suggest upgrading your transmission with your engine build.

4. While I cannot give you a complete list here are some upgraded items you'll need.

- Pistons
- Rings
- Injectors
- Intercooler (Suggest an FMIC)
- Intercooler hard pipes
- Intercooler/turbo hoese (Silicone)
- Vacuum lines (Silicone)
- 3" mandrel bent downpipe with Hi-flow CAT
- 3" mandrel bent catback with free flowing straight through design muffler
- DON'T FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ENGINE MANAGEMENT. Your going to need a custom tune. For this you should go to a dyno tuner and have them custom tune your ride once you have all your parts installed. This will take TIME and MONEY to do.

5. FYI this wont be done on the cheap. Not including the car your going to be spending a good $5,000+ to get this all said and done.