General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Sirius Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Update

hey everyone....
i had posted a while ago regarding getting sirius hooked up in our new xc70. If ANYONE is considering getting sirius in their car, YOU MUST READ THIS......
Like i said before, our xc70 came with the sirius prep package. The prep package is basically the wiring harness that goes from the head unit(radio), which is then connected to a tuner and translator. After many, many hours on the phone with sirius, volvo, best buy, circuit city, and a few custom stereo installers, i have come to this conclusion, which you can consider the gospel: if you want to receive sirius programming through your volvo's factory radio, and not have a sirius portable unit on your dashboard, YOU MUST BUY THE SIRIUS RADIO PACKAGE FROM VOLVO. No retailer, including Sirius directly has access to the components. No aftermarket tuner or translator will work with the volvo's Dynaudio stereo. There are aftermarket components for alpine, kenwood, sony, etc....but none for volvo. Believe me, i spent about 6 hours combined on the phone with the folks from sirius about this issue. Actually had someone from sirius tell me i "screwed myself for not having volvo install it at the dealer." At first, sirius told me all i would need to do would be to have best buy install the tuner, and i'd be ready to go. Even the people at sirius don't have the right info, which is why they gave the wrong info from the start. This is also why sirius has credited my credit card $526.35 in order for me to have volvo install the sirius package at the dealer. Yeah, after one of their reps told me i had screwed myself, it kind of pissed me off, so after talking to a few supervisors there, they agreed that it would only be right to refund me basically all the money i have spent on programming the past few years, and a little more to offset the out of pocket cost to have volvo to install the sirius package. I just thought this might help a few of you who have either just bought a volvo, or are considering it. Bottom line: if you want to use your radio's controls to navigate through sirius channels, then have the sirius package, the WHOLE package installed at the dealer. hope this helps....and like i said before, always drive safely, and wear your seatbelt....even though you drive a volvo and probably don't need it.