General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

V70 faulty key fob, sun roof, interior lights and now a locked tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 faulty key fob, sun roof, interior lights and now a locked tailgate

I recently bought my first volvo a V70. Great car but the interior lights, key fob (i have put new batteries in)and sun roof have never worked and recently the tailgate has refused to open. I took it to a Volvo dealer and they said it needs a new central computer which will cost £400 plus labour. Is this accurate or is there another solution. I would be happy if I could just open the tailgate!!!

Gavin

Old 12-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V70 faulty key fob, sun roof, interior lights and now a locked tailgate

Sounds about right...if you keep loosing electronics systematically chances are you've got something screwy with the computer. All though, I'd check all those related interior fuses too. I had a systematic failure in my 240 and it turned out all I needed was a new fuse panel. The old one was getting too corroded. I would think the 70 series would have a more sophisticated fuse panel than the 240 but...who knows.

...You know, another thing to consider is the wiring. Pretty much all the electronics run through a common point in your car at some point. At the very least, a few of the electronic systems run together. I had a few electronics burn out in my Cavalier. Turns out the power lines for the electronics in question all ran through the same place under the radiator of the car. Road salt, wind or whatever eroded through the housing and was starting to corrode all the wires. Stupid design…

Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: V70 faulty key fob, sun roof, interior lights and now a locked tailgate

Sounds like a Bad UEM (rearveiw mirror)