General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

V70 transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 transmission help

Hi all, Newbie here but have been lurking about for a while. I have a 2000 V70 AWD XC. I just replaced the automatic transmission with one from a local wrecking yard. Reverse went out in the old one. The first test drive (about 1 mile) went fine until I turned around and started home. Flashing 'up arrow' and check engine light came on and the transmission started out in high gear (limp mode ?) Got back to shop and plugged in my code reader. P1618 I changed the PNP switch, but no luck.
On several other test drive attempts in the last few days it will occasionally shift as expected only to go into the mode as described above. I talked to the service manager at the local Volvo dealer and he thinks the transmission control module (TCM) needs to be reprogrammed (flashed). Are there other things I should check before taking it to the dealer (expensive)?

Old 10-21-2016, 07:00 AM

I had to swap mine out in my '99 V70 XC a few years ago and had it done with a general transmission shop (not Volvo dealer). I think too many variables involved with them to do it by yourself but a general transmission shop can probably also help you, and since you have done most of the work already it shouldn't cost too much. I never had any problems with mine after that, I think this is just something best left to those guys.

FYI: I have done complete transmission rebuilds but on 70s cars but wouldn't touch new cars as they have too many variables that can go wrong.

Good luck and let us know how it is going.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:11 PM

Thanks Blade, That's a good idea. I'll give that a try.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:44 PM

It's been a few weeks, but here's an update. I took it to a local transmission shop but they informed me they couldn't do any flashing or programming if that was needed, as that is a Volvo proprietary thing. Although their charge for doing the diagnostic work would have been cheaper, I ended up taking it into the dealer in case that higher end service was needed. Turns out my wrecking yard transmission had a bad solenoid (S2) in it. That is now replaced and the transmission works like a charm. Although the wrecking yard is paying for the new solenoid under the warranty that came with the transmission, there is no reimbursement for the labor portion of the redo. Which was a several hour ordeal.