General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo 850 T5 ecu chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 850 T5 ecu chip

I found this on ebay and I just wanted to know what do you guys think about it. Is it any good, how safe it would be to use it (would I blow my tranny after a few weeks?). I have a 1995 850T automatic with 105xxx miles.

Volvo 850 T5 T5R Stage 3 ECU Chip 300HP Automatic Trans | eBay

Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

How will you get it installed in your ECU?

Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Hi.

Please, never ever use chips soldered into your ECU, always go for flashed ECUs. Seriously, you can save some bucks with Chips compared to expert tuners using flash technology, but there are lying so much possible risks/dangers ahead... that you can rest assured the some hundred dollars more repay in every way. I mean, don't get me wrong, but you may avoid to save money at the wrong places. On the other hand, if you have limited budget, it is much more interesting to get the most bang out of the buck(s).

In your special case, you might want to change the ECU parameters, but without the proper exhaust system, you will definitely get bad temperature problems. ECU upgrades/changes done properly therefore go always with a proper (at least catback) exhaust installed, good tuners (and that is rarely to be found) modify the right parameters to exactly fit the specifications of that installed exhaust, providing tipps on improving cold air intake, airflow, preventing high temperatures (always bad) and so on, what only then should be considered a proper Stage 1 tuning in my opinion. Beyond this, they can even change the torque curve in a way, that you will have a much sportier feeling when you have manual transmission for example, and much more.

If you really wanna achieve let's say 300hp+ and 400Nm+, you definitely should consider a complete Exhaust Upgrade with bigger Downpipe, Race Catalytic Converter and maybe bigger fuel injectors, if you have a T5 you maybe need the 16T loader or bigger, the T-5R already has one as i remember correctly. Then comes a proper ECU upgrade (desireably flashed) which is a little masterpiece on its own. Then you can easily achieve even more than 300hp and 400NM, but you will find your transmission probably too weak in terms of durability... As are the rods, pistons, and so on.

Beyond 300hp the temperatures will soon begin to be a problem, without water injection for example. There you will find that a knowing experienced tuner is priceless, who can find a balance between power and durability/safety.

Don't believe companies who promise the heavens, or subjective experiences in forums blindly or Gurus or Ebay Vendors... Physics remain physics.

If you want to read further, there is a swedish expert (Former Volvo Motor & Drivetrain Development Programme Engineer) who knows these cars and their internals and has his personal opinions (and i think very important and yet trustworthy & logical) and passion on this, btw he has a Tuning Company established, which tuned two of the cars that my family owned (854 T5, 855 T-5R) in absolutely professional and "safe" manner.

No advertising here, just a personal recommendation of me, as i had the same question some time ago back in the days. There, he shares his knowledge for free, covering Volvo Turbo Engines, but all in all delivers valuable Information on the topic and helps to understand the complexity without too much scientific tech babble. A valuable source for everyone interested in tuning turbo engines. (It is not the bible nor the qur'an, but a good start).

WothRline index

BTW he had some US costumers as well and i can tell he remains there for answering questions and helping out, he is a "Gentleman". But read his guestbook, his statements, decide on your own.

Just my two cents on this very important topic. No offense to all serious and expert car tuners around, as it is just my personal experience, and it was a good one, worth to share.

Regards, Marian

PS the seller of that chip on ebay will definitely don't give a damn about your car, if it blows up. Jan does. And if we talk of the "home of Volvo Tuning" as the chip vendor mentions using red letters at the bottom, well... LOL

Last edited by Elchkraft; 05-26-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Thank you for taking your time to write this. I don't wanna risk and blow my engine or tranny, and anyway I was planning to sell my car in a few months and maybe get a manual V70R