General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Is Volvo Made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Volvo Made in China?

I was thinking of getting a BMW or Mercedes until a friend of mine told me to check out the Volvo. So I went to one of local dealership to test drive the 2017 S60 & XC60. Found the interior a little dated with dial *****. Then the salesperson showed me the 2018 XC60 and now it had a touch screen, no more *****. The steering wheel was extremely loose and it did not have the stiffness as in the 2017 models. The touch screen pad was extremely buggy. You had to hit the screen a couple of times to get it to work. It was not only me but even the salesperson found it to difficult to get it to response. Next the salesperson informs me the new Volvo's are now all Made in China. So around the corner there was a Chinese Take-Out and I joked with him that the owner of the Chinese Take-Out might be one of owners of Volvo! At that note I wasn't willing to spend my hard earned dollars on some cheap Chinese made product but also thinking that all IPhones are made in China and we pay a premium for them. The difference here is Volvo is owned by a Chinese Company and also made in China made me wonder so I went online to do my research and found out how true it was. Much to my dismay this is what I found.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ction-in-china
We drove the Chinese Volvo - Business Insider

So looks like the first Chinese car that hit the US market is the Volvo! I am truly shocked. This puts it in the same league or lesser as the Hyundai's & Kia's. So I am wondering why should I pay my top dollars for a cheaply made product? On the other hand I would guess spare parts would be cheaply bought on either ebay or Alibaba so that will save me thousands compared to German made parts. I guess only time will tell as the models roll by.

If you search deeper you can actually truly get the spare parts from China.
China Volvo S60, Volvo S60 Manufacturers, Suppliers | Made-in-China.com