General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

What do you think of this Volvo seller?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this Volvo seller?

Not that I would normally consider purchasing a "you don't know where that car has been" vehicle on Ebay without pause, but take a look at this seller -their cars come with service and limited warrenty, and they have pretty good feedback.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtorchlightinc

Any chance there's anyone on here from New Jersey who might be familiar with this person? They have a beautiful '98 V70, and also a couple of manual transmissions listed.
I should probably just run and never look back right? But, what do you think?

TIA, Rosie

Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Default RE: What do you think of this Volvo seller?

Being a member for 9 years and a 99% positive feedback rating on ebay should account for something. No personal knowledge, but I think this is the place...

http://www.torchlightinc.com/

I would look more into it if I found something I liked.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Yep, I think you're right, same name as the ebay seller so that must be their website.

Is driving it home yourself the only way to get a car from New Jersey to Tennessee?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Driving it home would give you a chance to really get a feel for the new purchase. Plus a day or two away from the office if you can swing it

There are car carriers and then there are car carriers. You could check intosome of the ones that do business with the classic car industry and advertise in publications like Old Cars Weekly or Hemmings Motor News butbe sure to get some references and follow up on those to your satisfaction. Remember you get what you pay for, and the cost of diesel is pretty high right now. What may sound like a good delivery deal may turn into a nightmare later.

I read an letter to the editorin Old Cars a while back about a guy who bought an older car and didn't bother to check much into the car delivery company. It wasdelivered by a couple of yokelsuncovered ona flatbed in a snowstorm. They had followeda salt truck for a considerable distance, and the new purchase arrived pretty pitted up from all the flying salt hitting the guys "new" classic car... ugh.

It was another case of buyer beware, but as long as you work with a reputable outfit you should be in good shape.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 AM

When I was in the market to purchase, these guys definitely got my attention.
I have used a car carrier once and it was ok but would never do it again, unless
that was the only choice. So much work involved and when it finally does arrive
don't expect it to be perfect. Then you have to decide whether a problem is pre
or post delivery. So much easier to just make a road trip, check everything out
and with all those choices it could be fun. Then enjoy the ride home.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 PM

That has to be the same place Parlin and Sayerville and basically the same. And I think Ebay has an auto company they offer.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try running an ad in Drivers Wanted section of local newspapers in the area and see if you can find somebody to drive it to you. Sometimes you can find retired guys just looking for something to do and you pay them a couple hundred bucks plus expenses and they drive the car to you. I've never actually done this though. I usually fly to the car and drive it home myself, but I try to stay within 500 miles.

I ran a vehicle transport company for about 1.5 years and I would run these ads and get plenty of interest. There is also a company called Auto Driveaway that you could contact. It's way cheaper than having cars sent by truck and if you use a company, they are fully insured and have their own transport tags.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 AM

Check under completed auctions. Nothing has sold. Tells you the reserve prices are high. So if you are going to try and buy it through ebay, you will be paying up. Might be better to contact them directly and be in a better negotiating position.