Rusty exhaust resonator - when will it die? - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Brand Review > Intake, Headers and Exhaust
Reload this Page >

Rusty exhaust resonator - when will it die?

Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Rusty exhaust resonator - when will it die?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 PM
Question Rusty exhaust resonator - when will it die?

All,

I'm considering buying a 2006 Volvo XC90. Among other things, I noticed what appears to be a very rusty resonator of the exhaust system.

I took a few pictures of the resonator, along with another one of the exhaust towards the muffler, which I've posted further below.

I live in Southeastern PA - near Pottstown. So we get plenty of snow, rain, sleet, slush, and salt. The car will NOT be garage kept. It will be driven about 10k - 15k miles per year.

Questions:
  1. Can any of you please tell me how long do you think it will last before it needs to be replaced?
  2. Also, how could I get a good estimate of what the repair bill would be like?

Thanks for your opinion.

Best,
JPG.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:51 AM

Most of the time the outer shell comes apart and can just be cut off. But that third picture looks like you might have a hole developing.

Cost-wise, you'd be best to call your local dealer. Then call a local exhaust shop. The exhaust shop will likely be way cheaper.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 AM

I see that you are in Pennsylvania. I saw your pics and the entire underside of the vehicle is pretty rusted. Now, I'm comparing to what I see here in Alabama granted, but I'd look at everything else too.

A muffler rusted that bad is rare for me, here. I'd also be checking brake lines and the basic structure of the vehicle.

We have a long-standing joke here about northern vehicles. When you buy one, make sure to get a couple of sticks of dynamite to blow the wheel off if you need to change a tire. The wheels can rust to the hubs to the point that they have to be pounded off.