Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

S70 T5 OBX Turboback review

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S70 T5 OBX Turboback review

Hello everybody,
So about 2 weeks ago I put a OBX exhaust on my s70. At first I really had no intention of ever putting an exhaust on it, but after 15 years of PA weather the old exhaust rusted out. So I heard obx was quiet and went with it.

Installation:
The short story is it took about 3 hours. The detailed story is i torched off the old one, getting the bolts off the turbo is a bitch, the rear o2 sensor wire was too short so my uncle spliced some old wire too it to make it longer, the hangers to the muffler were too short so I had to bend and weld some rebar to the frame and put the hangers on there. If your going to do this swap you might want a torch (too heat up the o2 sensors to get them out of the cat, and get the old exhaust off), some bigger hangers for the exhaust, and a lift.

Results:
Its a little louder than i wanted, but im ok with it because the turbo sounds just fantastic ( and i have no intake or any other performance mods for that matter ). Its a very very nice tone, my friend has a speed3 with the mazda sport exhaust and an intake and he says hes extremely jealous that my car sounds better than his. despite the fact that it is a cat-less system, there is no engine code because of the o2 sensor. However, there is an engine code. The sas system is not connected because theres no port on the down pipe, so ill probably be deleting that if i can pass emissions without it. the exhaust sticks out a few inches more than it should. Its actually lined up with the center of the bumper but seeing as the bumper is curved it makes it very noticeable from the left side. I believe its faster now because i can keep up with/gain distance on my friend with the speed3 now, where as before he would out run me. it doesnt feel like it however, theres not always that 'pull' when the turbo starts spinning. It does spool much faster though, almost instantly. throttle response is much better. and my mpg went from 26 highway to 34. Also something I'm very irritated about, the past month here in pa its been nothing but snow and rain and all the moisture and salt is starting to corrode the exhaust. its browning in locations and im not exactly sure of how to make sure it doesnt rust out in the next few years. any suggestions?

For me it comes down to this, if i pass emissions with the exhaust, then it was worth it and im very happy.
If it fails, then i wish i would have gotten the ipd for an extra 500.

I know this is pretty damn long but i figured i should give as much detail as possible. if anyone wants to come see it, just let me know. my email is chealy94@gmail.com I can meet you anywhere in the limerick-King Of Prussia-Philadelphia area

Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 PM

Where did you order yours?!?! I want one

Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM

Should post a vid =] I wanna hear it been thinking of an exhaust and heard good about OBX