New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

01 s40 cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 01 s40 cold air intake

Hey there everyone, newbie to the forums. Gotta say this forum has helped me out a bunch..many thanks!! Anyways, have an 01 s40 with 140k on the clock. Recently replaced pcv, had the cam seals, timing belt,& water pump done. Suspension is all new, bilstien struts with the H&R lowering springs. Had to cut 1.5 coils off the rear springs to get it sitting right. Moog lower control arms up front, & megan racing adjustable control arms in the rear to keep the tires straight. Air struts are on the wish list, but $6k is a lot to spend. Working on fabbing up strut braces for the front and rear , a cold air intake, & an intake tube. A lot of differing opinions on the cai. Was thinking of using the stock air filter box, but with a dry injen cone filter, and then some how funnel in the air like the r Kelly setup. But seems the only way would be to cut a hole directly under the air box thru the fender and draw the air in that way. Any ideas/suggestions? Also cant seem to find an intake tube (MAF to turbo)for the 01's. Anyone got anything on that? One last thing..is there any info on building a performance motor. Have the opportunity to buy a 1.9 motor that broke the timing belt for $200. Thought it would be a cool project, but cant seem to find any info on it. Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

a few thoughts on the S40... save your money on the cold air intake stuff. The factory box is relatively good. For the S40 1.9T, you have a low pressure turbo design. There is a T4 design available in Europe which basically has an upgrade to the 14T turbo and an ECU tune. There's not a lot of bang for the buck in rebuilding the block - but some of the options include having the head ported (done with the head off the car, and would be part of the valve job on the broken engine). Google around for speed shops in your area that do cylinder head porting. You can also invest in new pistons or rods for lighter components and possibly to increase to bore but I doubt anybody markets a stroker crank for the 1.9 so not much available to increase the displacement. With that said, working the lower end would be very expensive so I'd focus on the air system - bigger turbo, 3 inch downpipe, free flow cat/exhaust, better intercooler and oil cooler and a an ECU tune.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your input. So the k&n panel filter is about as good as it'll get? Just seems like its choking for air at wot. Was thinking about moving battery to the trunk to allow more air to the factory box, but that seems like more trouble than its worth. Guess I'll bag the project motor, & put that money towards bigger injectors,down pipe, exhaust, & ECU tune. Is it worth the effort to fab my own intake tube? Or is the stock one good enough?