New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Cali Newb from Livermore with a 850 Turbo

Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali Newb from Livermore with a 850 Turbo

Hi all!

I'm glad to be joining with a recently acquired '96 850 Turbo. I love cars, love turbo cars more. Used to be into rock crawling, but sold my rig, the sport is 95% build 5% wheel/break! Now I am into well engineered euro cars! I had a twin turbo Nissan 300zx once...that car was a constant nightmare and a real pita to work on.

The latest project is the 850, getting her back in shape and then going to make her go faster. I've just done the timing belt (Hastings racing kevlar), waterpump, pulleys, serp belt, Kingsbourne 8mm wires, and volvo plugs. Replaced the struts with Bilstein touring (this is my commuter) and all the broken mounts. :P

Couple questions:

1) My car doesn't sit level, it doesn't have nivomat, just a bad rear spring. I want to replace them all (wish I had when I did the struts but promised the wife no sport springs, now I have to haha!). I am thinking HR OEM springs, they only drop a tiny bit and still ride nice? I want a smooth ride over performance.

2) High flow cat for California CARB. Thinking Magnaflow Carsound hiflow. Stock cat has seen better days, 145k miles.

Anyhow, hello!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to VF. Turbo cars are awesome. Once you drive one, you cannot drive anything else.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by FasterPlease
Hi all!

I'm glad to be joining with a recently acquired '96 850 Turbo. I love cars, love turbo cars more. Used to be into rock crawling, but sold my rig, the sport is 95% build 5% wheel/break! Now I am into well engineered euro cars! I had a twin turbo Nissan 300zx once...that car was a constant nightmare and a real pita to work on.

The latest project is the 850, getting her back in shape and then going to make her go faster. I've just done the timing belt (Hastings racing kevlar), waterpump, pulleys, serp belt, Kingsbourne 8mm wires, and volvo plugs. Replaced the struts with Bilstein touring (this is my commuter) and all the broken mounts. :P

Couple questions:

1) My car doesn't sit level, it doesn't have nivomat, just a bad rear spring. I want to replace them all (wish I had when I did the struts but promised the wife no sport springs, now I have to haha!). I am thinking HR OEM springs, they only drop a tiny bit and still ride nice? I want a smooth ride over performance.

2) High flow cat for California CARB. Thinking Magnaflow Carsound hiflow. Stock cat has seen better days, 145k miles.

Anyhow, hello!

Yo man Im in Cali also and just picked up a 850 turbo wagon from a family member! Had it for a week and I love it so far. Any pics of yours?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

+1 for pictures of both your cars.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM

here's one from when I bought it, looks a little different already with tinted windows, and black grill. I'll wash and post a new one this weekend!

Attached Thumbnails Cali Newb from Livermore with a 850 Turbo-5.jpg  
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM

a couple more, how do I get that crusty crap off the valve cover BTW? Drives me nuts looking at it.

I'm also on the fence about seafoaming the engine, I've read a lot of mixed reviews with the 850 and seafoam. Stories like, my car runs like crap after doing it. Mine runs great right now, so I am leary of messing with it like that. I have seafoamed other makes with good results, but I am paranoid about screwing up my Volvo!

Attached Thumbnails Cali Newb from Livermore with a 850 Turbo-pict1535.jpg   Cali Newb from Livermore with a 850 Turbo-pict1536.jpg