New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Good Morning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Morning!

Good Morning everyone!

My name is Brian, and about two months ago I purchased a 2002 s60 T5. She's fully loaded with a MTX, winter package, the works. Definately the most comfortable car I have ever owned, andI dont think ill be going back to any other brands for a long time! She's got about 96,000 miles on her right now, and has a few bugs that need tweaking. I've got to order a timing belt, and I figured Id go ahead and replace the clutch when it's convenient rather than when its necessary. Power windows are kind of intermittent, and I've got a VERY slow leak from the power steering pump. All in all, not to shabby for almost 100,000 miles. I'm hungry for knowledge, as this is my first car with any type of I/P or I/O bus system. I'm very interested infinding outhow the volvo guys [engineers] decided to design things, and learning about how the various systems in this highly advanced vehicle tick. I look forward to meeting you all!

Thanks!

Brian

Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Good Morning!

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome fellow S60 owner.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Welcome to you.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm not really looking for performance mods unless they increase engine efficiency. I'm pretty much going for longevity here, with 96K on the clock, but im all about some tweaking and minor tuning!

Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Why would you change the clutch at 96K? If it was pushing 200K I might, but not at less than 100K unless you are feeling like there is a problem.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:26 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Brian,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes doing the timing belt +its pulleys + tensioner is a good point to start. As to the clutch component, I too would wait until you notice the first sign of slippage. The clutch housing, you probably know, is on the opposite side of the timing belt so you can wait until later. I'm not privy to Volvo's MTX, but if it's hydraulic, which I assume it is, there is nothing to adjust except to keep an eye on the clutch fluid. If it shares the same reservoir with the brake, you only need to keep an eye on the brake master cylinder reservoir.

- Power windows are kind of intermittent
Unless if there is commonly known issues, which Tech could tell you, I would first undo the window switches and spray electrical contact cleaner to see if it improves. If it doesn't, I would clean out the inside the door panel & lube with WD40 or other type of grease that suits your needs.

- I've got a VERY slow leak from the power steering pump.
If the leak is slow, keep adding fluid (make sure to add the correct type of fluid; refer to the owner's manual). Tighten (not too tight) all connections & cramps, but where exactly is it leaking from?

- All in all, not to shabby for almost 100,000 miles.
Many Volvos are noted to go over 200,000 miles, 300,000 miles or even further, depending on the care.

- I'm hungry for knowledge
Good for you, keep it up!

- I'm very interested infinding outhow the volvo guys [engineers] decided to design things
In Sweden, people allegedly pay a large amount of tax when they buy a new car, sometimes large enough to buy another new car. So, I believe Volvo engineers keep this in mind and design their cars so that they won't go out of date in terms of technology, durability, appearance, styling, etc... Even though other mfgs are catching up, Volvos are still considered the safest cars, as far as the body shell structure is concerned.

- and learning about how the various systems in this highly advanced vehicle tick.
If you start working on your Volvo, you would notice that half (or more?) the components are made by Bosch, a large parts mfg in Germany. One weakness in Euro vehicles is the fickle electrical/electronic systems.

Check for recalls and have taken care of at the dealer. This is done free of charge to customers.

http://www.autobuyguide.com/2002/12-...lls/index.html

JPN

Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the helpful info! [sm=burnout.gif]

I wasn't too sure about the clutch's or the throwout bearings health, as i can hear a tick/knock when it engages or disengages. It's only slightly noticeable, and may just be inherant of volvo's MTX. Ill check with the guys over on the S60 forum.

As for the windows, Im thinking theres something screwy going on the the drivers or passengers door module. Both front windows do it intermittently. I recently received a 2M circuit card repair certification, so when I get a little downtime with the car ill probably tear them apart and see whats going on. Again, ill check with the guys in the appropiate forum to keep topics in the right place [sm=yeahsmile.gif]

JDM, i noticed you were an A&P, do you happen to do any aviating on the side?

Thanks again!

Edit: I'm not exactly sure where the PS leak is. the pump seal is has residue on both sides, and the top of the alternator below it is also slightly damp, along with all of the hoses...Ill clean em up and see if can figure out which gets dirty first.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Welcome aboard.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes clean the area and locate the leak. Try not to let the fluid drop onto belts, alternator, etc...

Yes I'm an A&P w/FCC GROL. I am currently stuck at Narita Airport in Japan. After spending 11.5 years in the States from the age of 17, I consider the States as my homeland and still trying to come home, even though the current immigration law is still preventing the right people to become permanent residents.

At NRT, I am stuck doing mundane line jobs. I wish to work in a hangar and do heavy maintenance on small turbine-powered airplanes.

JPN

Old 05-12-2008, 03:20 AM

Welcome To Volvo Forum !