New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

new owner here, got some q's :)

Old 05-10-2008, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner here, got some q's :)

so i purchased an 83 240 GLT from this guy recently. looks like it was a grannys car. thing has over 300k miles on it and the engine sounds remarkably smooth. i did notice that under severe boost, it smokes a lil. aside from that, its a pretty solid car.

gas mileage blows though, but its real roomy.

anywho, i have the usual round of questions most people might ask:

since this is my first turbo car, what should i replace immediatly? im not sure when the last maintenance was done on the car.. i have about 700$ leftover from my paycheck to do a big tune up on the car.

the engine bay looks immaculate. there are *no* visible leaks from any of the seals. i havent crawled under it yet, was going to do that when the sun comes up.

oil change will be done later today.

should i flush out the coolant system?

is a repair manual at autozone worth purchasing, or should i save my 20 and just buy a service manual from bently publishers?

since im more of a honda guy, and not to mention never owning a RWD or turbo car, im not that framiliar with this type of setup. i have big hands so i predict many many cuts and scrapes.

AC of course does not work. how hard would this one be to replace, and what cost am i looking at? im sure its r12 and needs to be converted, so how hard is that? oh, the blower motor works, just no cold air.

the windshield wipers do not work. where can i get a replacement motor if thats what i need?

i heard volvos are notorious for popping fuses. in the glove box, i noticed a good supply of fuses. rumors true or what?

anywho, sorry for the ramblings. pix are coming later, once the sun comes up.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: new owner here, got some q's :)

Welcome to the board. You need to go over to the 240 section and ask questions there. Many of us don't really look for specific questions in the New Member section. Good luck with the new ride. Also there is a forum called turbobrick which is really geared more towards the 240. Not saying we don't have guys that know them here.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I hope you've got some replies in the 240 forum.

>gas mileage blows though, but its real roomy.
A tune-up list from my post may be of some use. It is designed for the 850s, but many items apply to other models as well. See my 2nd reply at:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

The most important maintenance on the turbocharger is oil management. Be sure to keep correct level & quality of oil. I would use full-synthetic 10W-30 (5W-30 in extremely frigid regions but follow owner's manual), and after freeway driving in summer, I would let the engine idle for 1-2 minutes, 1-minute in winter. Make sure to use OEM filter as well.

>should i flush out the coolant system?
I would. I would also replace thermostat & as many rubber hoses as I can. Coolant is one of the most neglected items.

>is a repair manual at autozone worth purchasing, or should i save my 20 and just buy a service manual from bently publishers?
A Haynes would suffice but factory manuals are usually the best (newer cars seem to use DVD versions only).

>since im more of a honda guy, and not to mention never owning a RWD or turbo car, im not that framiliar with this type of setup. i have big hands so i predict many many cuts and scrapes.
Same here, '88 Accord LX-i. I too, have large hands and cuts & scrapes are welcome. I often wear Nitrile gloves when working with fluids & greases.

As to the A/C, Volvo's A/C fails in a different manner than the rest of the industry's. Usually the refrigerant escapes due to not enough use during winter. If ignored in winter, the seals within the system dries up and allows leaks. As to R-12 to R-134a conversion, it should be done by a shop, and I believe the seals (O-rings) may be of different materials.

>the windshield wipers do not work. where can i get a replacement motor if thats what i need?
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-ex...20/by_year/33/

http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresu...9&cat=1036

Scan-tech seems to have poor reputation.

>i heard volvos are notorious for popping fuses. in the glove box, i noticed a good supply of fuses. rumors true or what?
Unless the 240s are known for it, it is probably a rumor. However, it is true that Euro makes are known for poor electrical/electronic systems.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 05-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. Specific questions need to be posted in that forum.