New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

I purchased a beautiful 2013 S60 about a year ago. The previous owner didn’t do the timing belt service and jumped timing at 80,000 miles. The pistons weren’t damaged but the valves were bent so I sent the head away to be rebuilt. I then took it to a garage where it’s sat with the engine hung and it seems they aren’t capable of putting it back together. I don’t think the cams needed to be removed, but they did and I don’t think they know how to time it and reinstall the cams. I’m hoping I might get some information here on how to proceed with this and get it running.

Old 01-14-2024, 11:39 AM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

If you If you took the engine apart - then towed the car to have it put back together -

You will have to find someone willing to work on a "basketcase" (where the parts arrive in a basket) Very few shops will be willing to do that. A professional shop will not want to risk their reputation - fixing something a customer started - that's just too risky for a bad review or bad press. If you find someone - they might want to charge more than the going rate - it's harder to put things back together that you did not take apart. and will take more than book time. And may possibly not guarantee the car will run (most shops don't have the ability to check valve clearances on your engine)

And yes the cams need to come out to put the head back on, and cam alignment tools are needed (if you want to make sure it's done right right the first time) AND - you want to make sure your machine shop ADJUSTED the new valves when they were installed - custom or special tools needed there also.

It is a complex job that requires a few specials tool, and a modicum of mechanical ability. It's certainly possible for a talented DIYer to compete that job, as many have successfully completed, and many have had problems.

If you are looking for removal and installation instructions - The best source would be the Factory service manual. That is called VIDA. Legally, you buy a subscription (in the US) at volvtechinfo.com.

However the earlier version is easily found on the internet - that is the stollen and hacked to work without a subscription called VIDA 2014d. That was the last version that was supplied on a DVD and has all the factory info on cars through year 2015.

Sorry for your troubles, too many have had cam timing problems early (But even if it's not at the mileage replacement interval it is at the 10 year replacement interval)

Old 01-14-2024, 06:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Last edited by Mathieu Colins; 01-15-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
If you If you took the engine apart - then towed the car to have it put back together -

You will have to find someone willing to work on a "basketcase" (where the parts arrive in a basket) Very few shops will be willing to do that. A professional shop will not want to risk their reputation - fixing something a customer started - that's just too risky for a bad review or bad press. If you find someone - they might want to charge more than the going rate - it's harder to put things back together that you did not take apart. and will take more than book time. And may possibly not guarantee the car will run (most shops don't have the ability to check valve clearances on your engine)

And yes the cams need to come out to put the head back on, and cam alignment tools are needed (if you want to make sure it's done right right the first time) AND - you want to make sure your machine shop ADJUSTED the new valves when they were installed - custom or special tools needed there also.

It is a complex job that requires a few specials tool, and a modicum of mechanical ability. It's certainly possible for a talented DIYer to compete that job, as many have successfully completed, and many have had problems.

If you are looking for removal and installation instructions - The best source would be the Factory service manual. That is called VIDA. Legally, you buy a subscription (in the US) at volvtechinfo.com.

However the earlier version is easily found on the internet - that is the stollen and hacked to work without a subscription called VIDA 2014d. That was the last version that was supplied on a DVD and has all the factory info on cars through year 2015.

Sorry for your troubles, too many have had cam timing problems early (But even if it's not at the mileage replacement interval it is at the 10 year replacement interval)
thanks for the reply. I was thinking it might just be better to sell it at this point. The car is just so clean I was hoping to get it fixed. You said special tools are needed to install new valves? I’ll have to ask if that was even done right.