New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hi all, I have a '91 Volvo 940 SE wagon

Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all, I have a '91 Volvo 940 SE wagon

I'm trying to identify a clunking noise when I break. It comes from the right side. We had the breaks and calipers checked and had it up on the rack to look for loose parts and couldn't find any. The noise went away for a few days, now it is back again, a little more pronounced.

I had a new steering rack put in not too long ago and it seemed to take a while to get the bubbles out. But it seems to be working OK now.

Turning left, we can hear a rumble in the right wheel.

Any ideas or suggestions of what to inspect? Thanks!

I'm in Winslow, AZ, and no one specializes in Volvo here. Flagstaff is the closest place.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to VF. The two things I would take a closer look at are the wheel bearings and the anti-swaybar end-links.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Default We'll check it out, thanks!

FCP--I checked your site for prices on those things you mentioned. Off to Flagstaff Friday for a better look. If it is what you thought it was, is there a danger in long distance or even town driving until it's fixed?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor

If it is the end-link, no. That will just make your car not corner as well. If you are just driving normally, then it would be ok for a little bit.

As for the wheel bearing, I would not go long distances with a bad one. If it seizes up, you will be stuck. Or worst, it could come apart and that would definitely do some damage to the car or even cause an accident.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Default Fcp

I found a mechanic who seems to not be too squeamish toward my Volvo noises here in town and will check it thoroughly on Monday. Meanwhile, the friend I bought it from mentioned some other ideas, too:
"maybe the bearings should have been repacked when the new rack was recently put in...maybe not everything was tightened down, also...make sure everything is tight, calipers, also with the rear end, check that rear is not leaking, transmission output and rear-end axle seals and rear cover and pilot shaft, all not leaking......drive shaft...get a good good look over..."...because sometimes rear-end problems have a front-end referral noise...nevertheless, thanks for the good advice and the warning to not drive too far as it is. The NOISE IS GETTING WORSE.