New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hi. I'm new. And I need help already!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. I'm new. And I need help already!

Hi all, I'm new here. Because I just bought a 99 Chris Craft 23' Deck Boat. It's the first boat I've owned since around 2000. And that was a cheap little outboard ski boat that I paid $1200 for, splitting it with a college roommate. This is quite the step up. On the test ride, it idled a little rough and was a little rough getting up to speed and I said "No problem, I'll have a mechanic look it over." I didn't. I took it out on the water and had a great couple of hours. No issues starting, idling, or going. Today, it dies after just a few seconds. At speed, it dies even more quickly. I went down to the boat and took this video:
Now it won't even start. On initial surface inspection, there was a wire disconnected and what appears to be a fuel line (from the words "FUEL LINE" written on it) that was disconnected from what looks to me to be a crankcase.

Anyone have any ideas, and also on what model this is?

Thanks!
Andy

Old 06-18-2021, 02:39 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Two wires go to the electric choke on the carburetor, The "fuel" line is carrying crankcase fumes from the PCV valve back to under neath the air filter to be sucked in and burned. Neither one is preventing the engine from starting.

You have to have 3 things to run - compression, fuel and spark at the correct time. The engine sounds like it has compression. That leaves fuel and spark.

I suggest if you don't want to break down when out on the water - you have someone who knows what they are doing look at it and do what's needed and perhaps some preventive repairs/maintenance so the next thing that breaks from lack of maintenance does not strand you out on the water.

1st thing I notice is there is no alternator belt - that's not preventing the engine from running but if you do get it running it will only run until the batteries (at least you have 2) go dead.
Look like a common V-8 with maybe a 2 barrel carb. Volvo/penta does have their engine/outdrive owners manuals online - you will just need to find a model number.

BOAT = break out another thousand

Old 06-19-2021, 08:28 AM

Thanks so much for the info! The alternator belt was loose (I remembered the previous owner telling me that). I thought the same thing that you said -- without it, it should still start and run, but the battery will eventually die. Well, when I put that loose belt back on, it ran without dying. I took it around the area close to my house and had no issues, so I went on another boat trip yesterday. The belt broke. The engine died. I was able to start it and run it for about 30 seconds at a time until I could limp it to the nearest boat launch and get a ride back home to the trailer. It's in the driveway now. I have a new belt and am watching youtube videos to figure out the best way to replace it - obviously the other belt has to come off to put it on.

Any ideas why this thing makes the boat die like this?

Old 06-20-2021, 08:10 PM

Well, after replacing that alternator belt, which was a PITA because the other belt needed to come off (it was quite the learning experience for two non-mechanical nephews!) the boat ran great. On further inspection, the alternator belt connects not just from the main drive to the alternator, but to the pulley below the main drive. Maybe that's the water pump? I am surmising that because the two hoses that needed to be removed were full of water. At any rate, we had a great day on Cane River Lake - getting stranded is a little less concerning here because you're never too far from shore on a lake that used to be a river. I'm taking it to the local boat guy tomorrow for a once-over.