New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

I hate being a newb!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate being a newb!

I promise this is the last newbie post I'll make. Idislike being a newb on boards because I know we can get annoying. That being said I'm happy to see this site exists. You've already answered loads of questions I hadbefore I searched the S70 forum; in doing so, Idecided to join.

So that being said I have a '99 Volvo S70 GLT w/ just under 100K. [Nautical Blue Metallic w/ Warm Taupe Leather Interior]
I've previously owned a 1986 740 GLE that lived a healthy 245K mile life before kicking the bucket.[Grey(though lacking in clearcoat on the hood and roof) w/ Burgundy Leather interior]
And I was raised in an '81 240 Wagon also well into the triple digits before being traded in. As you can tell, I like my Volvos.

Cheers,

Sam

Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I hate being a newb!

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it helpful & enjoyable.

I don't think anyone likes being a newbie, as a newbie is often looked down, derided, given wrong info, getting taken at shops, etc... However, please note that even the world's best technician was once newbie, too. This is a point where too many people seem to forget, that they too, were once newbies.

Getting a service manual (Haynes) is a good place to start, as well as acquiring a basic set of metric tools, especially Torx sets (I highly recommend Lisle's Torx bit sets, as they directly fit onto ratchet handles/breaker bars).

As a moderator, I personallydelete sarcastic, derisive or rude comments, as I want this forum to be a helpful, enjoyable place for many (though certain cases must be handled by the administrators). Many of us here are greatly influenced by the top-dog, named Moderator Tech.

Welcome again, I wish you have a good time here with us!

JPN

Old 08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post a lot and then you wont be a newb.[8D]

Old 08-31-2007, 06:27 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello again Sam,

There is a member in the 850 forum, who was a complete newbie until about 6 months ago. Now, he has spent some time here, did his homework, followed other members' advice in repairing problems on his own, he has become above-average home mechanic. He even went as far as replacing the fuel pump on his own, and again, he made this huge leap in mere 6 months. You will be doingthe sametoo, so wait till you see your skills & set of tools growing as time goes by.

If the S70 forum members start bothering you with negative attitude, use PM (Personal Message) function and email people who havepositive & helpful attitude. If you go through some threads in the S70 and 850 forums, you'll know who those good people are. Or, post questions in the General Volvo Chat, explaining the situation that S70 forum was not helpful, etc...

I wish you the best of luck,

JPN

Old 09-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jks2

Post a lot and then you wont be a newb.[8D]

seriously look when i joined and i look like im someone important now in the forum ranks, lol. im not but still you wont LOOK like a newb. Welcome, glad you joined