New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

I love my Volvo.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I love my Volvo.

Hey everybody! My name is Micah and I have always wanted a Volvo every since my dad purchased a station wagon for our family when I was a child. Funny thing is, that same Volvo is my daily driver and has almost 200k worn into it. I bought it 3 years ago, and have been learning how to take care of it since I was in high school.

I drive a 2002 V70 base. There is literally no mods on it at all.

I like the low profile look of the station wagon because I never get pulled over in my "grocery getter" haha.

However, since about 150k, it has been a constant struggle to keep it running well, and maintaining the car has taken away $ from what I would like to do to it.

Currently, I am waiting on my coil packs to get here so I can get my engine running on all cylinders, literally.

I have 4 ODB II codes that keep firing,

P0302- Cylinder 2 Misfire detected **fixing now**
P0037- H02S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0442- Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0420- Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Also, it needs new struts for better suspension.

My main concern here is with the Computer(ECM).

No matter what I do, the last 3 codes always fire.

Is there anyone out there that has had this problem, and knows how to fix it, or do I have to go to the dealership and pay $1500 to have my ECM replaced?

Thanks

Last edited by buildertech; 02-18-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

What is included in "no matter what I do"?

You don't need an ECM.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Default No matter what I do....

Pressure tested engine, replaced 02 sensors (all of them), taken vechicle to several mechanics to inquire about the emmisions errors and they have done a bunch of tests that I cant begin to understand or explain, and came back with the same answer, "everything checks out fine and you should be getting 30ish MPG". I have spent over $2,000 in repairs, not incuding keeping up with the car on the annual stuff. In addition to all of that, I have done constant work on keeping up with the engine, every 5k changing oil with full synthetic, using fuel octance boosters with every tank of gas, replaced timing belt at 105,000, and plan to change it again at 200k.

To top all of that, my electronics freak out occasionally, my main vol. control **** doesnt work, have to use buttons on steering wheel, and when radio is on, it switches to another station randomly throughout the day. Thats why I thought it was computer related...

Last edited by buildertech; 02-18-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

P0037 is either wiring to the rear oxygen sensor or the sensor itself. It is a very straightforward code to diagnose. The heating element in the sensor is not working. So if there is power and ground to the heater, then it's the sensor. If you use a cheap aftermarket sensor or a "universal" sensor that splices in, I would suspect that.

The evap leak is either a leak in the evap system, a bad leak detection pump or a software issue for the ECM.

The other one is going to be a bad cat. People have tried to "clean" the cat and reported positive results. But odds are those are temporary. Then they never come back to the forums to update everyone and say they had to replace it a year later. But you can try it.

None of these are complicated, so whatever shops you're going to are not very good. This is a good example of one of my favorite quotes I've seen:

"If you think hiring a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a cheap one."

Also, octane boosters are a waste of money. Save it for something else.

The ECM has nothing to do with the radio. You probably need a new radio.

Last edited by ES6T; 02-18-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Default Update on issues.

Spent some $ for all 5 new Bosch coil packs, the first one got here, the others are delayed. So I swapped out the bad coil with the new one, drove 50 miles and the CE light went off by itself. I was like, wtf? Anyhow, it came back on about 3 days later. The O2 sensor is also Bosch, but I did splice it in, using the old harness, so I am planning on replacing the wiring as well.
I will see what happens with the light once my other coils come in, and maybe that will fix it.

If not, then I will have the other stuff done.

Last edited by buildertech; 02-23-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 AM

What about some pics?

Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Default Update #2

I will post some pics soon.

Only code left now, is the CAT code. Says efficiency is below threshold. What would you recommend to clean it?

Old 03-02-2015, 05:03 PM

I had the P0300 series vodes on my XC90, but dealer could not replicate under diagnostic. My son thinks it may be the Mass Air Filter (he was a certified Volvo Technician - now he works for NASA!
Originally Posted by buildertech
Hey everybody! My name is Micah and I have always wanted a Volvo every since my dad purchased a station wagon for our family when I was a child. Funny thing is, that same Volvo is my daily driver and has almost 200k worn into it. I bought it 3 years ago, and have been learning how to take care of it since I was in high school.

I drive a 2002 V70 base. There is literally no mods on it at all.

I like the low profile look of the station wagon because I never get pulled over in my "grocery getter" haha.

However, since about 150k, it has been a constant struggle to keep it running well, and maintaining the car has taken away $ from what I would like to do to it.

Currently, I am waiting on my coil packs to get here so I can get my engine running on all cylinders, literally.

I have 4 ODB II codes that keep firing,

P0302- Cylinder 2 Misfire detected **fixing now**
P0037- H02S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0442- Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0420- Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Also, it needs new struts for better suspension.

My main concern here is with the Computer(ECM).

No matter what I do, the last 3 codes always fire.

Is there anyone out there that has had this problem, and knows how to fix it, or do I have to go to the dealership and pay $1500 to have my ECM replaced?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

P0300 codes are misfire codes, not mass air flow codes.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:01 AM

After new coils, plugs, my 2nd cylinder is still missing. However, the code comes and goes, there is no noticeable difference in the engine performance, it runs great.

Should I pay the $80+ to have it diagnosed?? Or is there a quick fix for this???

Old 03-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Not likely a quick fix if you replaced the plugs and the coil is firing. You need to check compression and cylinder leakage

Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 AM

Hi welcome to the forums