New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Instrument Panel Indicators

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Instrument Panel Indicators

Hello! I am a new member, from the Philippines.

My S60 T6 was delivered to me January 2011 and I have been its only driver, save for Volvo staff when performing road tests when the car is under repair or maintenance. In December 2012, I added a Polestar software upgrade. I have been happy with the car, whose odometer reading indicates 54,352 KM as of last night. I have been pleased with the maintenance service of the Volvo dealership, though am now concerned that it seems "everything seems to be falling apart" - figure of speech.

November 2016, the ABS light came on, sensors were cleaned, anti-skid service was performed and not much happened after
February 2017, with the odometer reading at 33, 435 KM, the "Brake Failure, Stop Safely", ABS, Anti-Skid, Emergency and Parking Brake lights came on - tests were conducted & a bit of "cleaning" was performed, at minimal cost
October 2017, with 39,530 KM on the odometer, the AUX fan malfunctioned, still working even when the engine was turned off; brake pads for all tires and the battery were replaced - this was painful at US$1,784
December 2017, 40,000 KM check up was performed
June 2018, after intermittent but persistent electrical system issues, the battery, which was under warranty was replaced - and so was the alternator - another painful expense at US$873
August 2018, with odometer reading 50,949 KM, periodic 50K maintenance was performed, PLUS the brake vacuum pump was replaced - total painful cost US1,529
September 2018, the "Brake Failure, Stop Safely" and all other lights came on - I brought the car for service and asked the dealer to check for what I suspected was misfiring - they did tests and "cleaning"
I asked why my display just suddenly would not show images from the rear back up camera - I am told that the camera is OK, the Head Unit is good, but the ONE interconnect wire of the head unit that connects to the camera is defective - I must replace the entire head unit, estimate is US$1150, more or less - I say "forget it"
October 2018, sometimes the "Park Assist Syst, Service Required" lights come on, goes away, sometimes the "Brake Failure...." lights come on and go away
22 October 2018 - after a day of non-use, the "Check Engine" light came on, in yellow. The engine is misfiring now, very much more noticeable, though the car runs better at speed

Can anyone provide me insights of what is going on? Because of the continuing series of failures, I hate to be suspicious but get the eerie feeling that these are stage-managed? I always thought of Volvos *** reliable cars, way better than Japanese alternatives. Those just keep running despite abuse.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is no way to ignore the fact that where you live may effect the reliability of your car. Exposure to moisture, especially salty ocean moisture, will cause you to have serious electrical reliability problems.

My personal opinion and advice is to select a car that is very simple electrically with as few electrical options as possible. I might also be inclined to drive a diesel if I live where you do. That's my opinion based on people I've known that live where you do.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello eflexter,

Thank you for your reply, which is much appreciated. I am inclined to agree that the environment is playing a major role as regards the behavior of my car. I fully agree that a car with simpler electrical internals will be a better choice. I will certainly consider the option of a diesel for my next purchase.

Best,
es704.