New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

My Story.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Story.

Greetings everyone.

My name is John, and i should be joining your ranks here in the up comming week. So whats my story? Well I recently had a birthday, and due to some pressure from my parents (no i do not live with my parents, havent for years), they decided it was time for me to get a better car. Right now i drive my baby, a 91 Toyota MR2, Hardtop, 5 speed manual. Of which now i have to sell :'(. but anyway. I decided to go for itand set a limit for myself and decided to get myself what i want. Anything i want. I dont really treat myself often. So this is the really funny part. I have absolutely loved Lancer Evolutions since before they have come to the states, or for you younger people out there since Grand turismo 3, lol. My driving record is faaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr from perfect but i have my fun . So i was looking at four options and at the top of my list, of course, Evo. The more as time went on and as i considered my options, The more i started looking in another direction. Now i have owned some performance cars. semi souped up 99 Eclipse, OZ rally edition, and my MR2. I like to drive hard. I have lightened up a bit now that ive turned 26 . So anyway suffice it to say dispite my absolute love for the Evo, I didnt opt to buy some that were available, instead this is the car that i have mailed a check to, to have it delivered to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S60-R...QQcmdZViewItem

My very own Volvo S60 R. If the good lord willing, all will go well, i will get it soon with not only no complaints but severe satisfaction.

So that was what i picked over a car ive been practically lusting over for years. I recall more then a few times in the grocery store with my Ex-Fiance i would look at a magazine rack and blurt out "DAAAAaaammmnnn thats hot" of which she learned after a few times i was refering to the car or Evo on the cover and not the jezebel blocking my view of the car on the cover. If i cared to look at women like that there are other magazines, but anyway.

I know this is long, ive been around, ive done the automotive forums thing a few times, and now my journey as ended elsewhere and started here. I do not know much about Volvo's. So there are two things i invite anyone who reads this thread to do

1. If you want to know anything more about me or my purchase, feel free to ask, im pretty friendly, and am told funny. I live in my 2 bedroom apt by my self and have some time on my hands when im not working. I go to the gym as often as i can. Working on a trinity thing, getting my mind, body, and spirit in shape. .

2. Since some or most of you are probably more experts in this car arena then i, feel free to tell me please what is in store for me with this vehicle. Some things i should be wary of, or things to take advantage of. I will tell you i love the look, its refined, its classy, its viceral, Its comfy,its me, i think . I love the specs. soooooo please tell me what you think of my car. or where my car stands in the epitome of Volvo's circulating the world. I do have high hopes that i will enjoy this car more then any other car ive owned.

Feel free to tell me anything yo uwant me to know about yourself as well. Can never have too many good friends.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:49 AM
Default RE: My Story.

Oh man! A deuce is my favorite car.

Why you gotta sell?!?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 AM

long story short, Florida Law requires that any car you own, you have to carry insurance on. even if it does nothing but sit in your yard. So that right there is 560 dollars every six months in insurance payments. Plus with what im financing for the S60 R, thats another 4 thousand dollars to put into my loan. meaning less monthly payments, which means i save more money, and if i decide to go on a date ever, ill have money to do so. I would rather not sell it, but sometimes we have to do things we would rather not, to get the things we want.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi John,

Greetings from Narita, Japan.

First of all, welcome to the forum! I hope you find it helpful, useful & enjoyable. As a moderator, I personally try to make the forum as sarcasm/rudeness-free as possible. There are enough people who think they're experts, by putting down those who're just starting to learn their cars. Well, just about everyone starts out as beginners in my opinion.

Anyway, I would first check for possible recalls against S60. Please refer to the following post:

https://volvoforums.com/m_66630/tm.htm

Then, be sure to post questions/answers in the S60 forum, which you seem to have been doing already. Also, please do a bit of search within the forum before posting a question, as you can often find answers to your questions by searching.

Also, if S60 uses timing belt, make sure to follow the replacement intervals. If not done by the previous owner within the specified miles or 5 years, do it now.

Volvos are not rocket science at all. If you can handle Japanese cars, you can handle European cars as well. But be sure to get a service manual, as there are certain steps that have to be followed when working on a Volvo.

Welcome again and good luck!

JPN

Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Yes indeed, i wasnt aware there were any recals for volvo S60's as i didnt find any on edmunds.com. but apparently there are. fun But easy to fix. It only has 27,000 miles on the car so i dont quite think anything major needs replacing as of yet. But i will make sure the mantenance schedule is followed as best i can.

What i was actually looking for is expiernces with people driving these cars. good bad anything. you know like how it handles or brakes. the intamate details as it were

Old 08-11-2007, 11:08 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi John,

I am not sure about how S60 drives, but I can supply my impressions on the 850, if it does any good for you.

Pro's:
1. Safety.
2. Exhilarating acceleration (turbo models only).
3. Good handling (as long as suspension & wheelcomponents are well-maintained).
4. Unparalleled styling.
5. Durable engine (as long as the oil & filter are well-maintained).
6. Straightforward enough for home mechanics to repair many troubles.

Con's:
1. Cheap interior quality.
2. Too many electronic-related problems that are really trivial.
3. ABS module & A/C evaporatour were of defective design and are guaranteed to fail.
4. Brakes that do not match the performance of the car (Should have come with cross-drilled rotors & 2-4-pod piston calipers as factory brakes).

I would ask in the S60 section, which you may have already done.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

The S60R is the best of the S60's.

The R has alot less problems than the S60's.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:06 AM

Put the Deuce on Jackstands and you can get very cheap insurance. (You can only drive it something like 100 miles a year though..)

Edit: Good choice on the R and not the other ones. Rs are awesome.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice car. Looks like something I will be looking into if either of my R's ever die. I wrote a long response to this yesterday, but for some reason it's not here.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:25 AM

yes i plan on putting my duece listed as storage. Or what ever it takes to get it to be on the side. Very smart idea though, thanks.

Yes the looks my car i think, is sexy, It just about beats out the looks of anything else i can think of. Now the new Evo X, i need to see cause that is a niiiiiiiiice looking car on the pictures.

I cannot wait to get my car though, take it for a spin, wash it, start enjoying my very expensive purchase.