New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New member and new to VOLVO!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and new to VOLVO!

Hi, I just recently purchased a 1995 Volvo 850 GLT for AU$3750 cash.
I was amazed at the condition of the car for its age. The previous owner was the original owner and they were old people with no children or pets and non smokers.. The cars back seat is practically new looking and as they said, they can't even remember anyone even sitting in it in the time they have owned it.

The paint is perfect- from what I can see. And it has been looked after and serviced well by people with a bit of money to splash around.

The only reason they are selling it is because they are ready to buy a new Volvo.

I am hoping that I don't have any problems with it.

But if there is anyone out there that can give me some info or pointers on home maintenance and keeping it running smoothly then I would be very grateful.. Also I am interested in 'tuning' it. So if anyone can help me with putting together a to do list. Again I would be grateful. Not sure where to start. All I know is the car is pretty much standard and nothing has been done to it.

Looking forward to leaning about my Volvo and taking her to the extreme!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New member and new to VOLVO!

Greetings.

Welcome to the forum, I hope the forum would be helpful & enjoyable for you.

Nice 850 you've found, they are known to go over 320,000 kms (200,000 mls) or even 480,000 kms (300,000 mls), depending on how much carea personcan give to their cars.

The key to keeping your Volvo for a long time is to follow scheduled maintenance, as well as regularly inspecting the condition & proper levels on all fluids, rubber parts, etc...One of the most critical components is the timing belt and its related components (pulleys, hydraulic tensioners, etc...), which must be replaced at every112,000kms (70,000 mls).

Here's a good starting point for your basic maintenance needs:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

When in doubt, go with the advice given by a gentleman by the name of Moderator Tech, the top-dog of the forum.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 09-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum

As far as tuning goes I have some questions first.

1. What is your budget?

2. What is your Hp goal?

3. Are you N/A or turboed?

I will give you one basic and very important thing before you start tuning. STAGE ZERO. This can be found in the General Volvo section of the forum under the PINNED thread titled VolvoForum Resources Thread.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:58 PM

very nice buy, welcome to the forums

Old 09-18-2007, 01:00 AM

Thanks!! I feel like I belong here already. LOL

And to answer the questions:

1. What is your budget? About as much as I spent on the car- AU$3000

2. What is your Hp goal? As far as I can take her with that much to spend.

3. Are you N/A or turboed? Sadly, non turbo.. But I have a turbo and a top mount intercooler that I was given for my old Daewoo.. Wondering if I could modilfy it to fit the Volvo. Not really that knowledgeable with car mods. This is going to be my learning experience..

I also have a 2.5 inch stainless steel Cannon exhaust that I was thinking I might weld onto the Volvo. What do you think?

Really. OK> I am a gurly girl when it comes to cars. And I know enuff to get myself out of trouble most of the time. I am interested in learning as much as possible. And at the moment I may know stuff all and need a lot of help. But I am willing to read and learn and make the most out of the car I own.

STAGE ZERO- Read through it briefly last night and saved it for fuure reference.. THANKS!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Your N/A you have nowhere to go basically unless you want to spend big big bucks to turbo your Volvo. IMO it isn't worth it and you could buy an already turbocharged model for the same price and mod it from there and get much better results.

You will need...

1. Turbo
2. Intercooler
3. Downpipe
4. Catback
5. Vaccum lines
6. Couplers
7. Intercooler hard pipes
8. Most importantly tuning biggest and most exspensive of all things needed.
9. Etc....

$3k AU or basically $2,500 US. With that said it is a good start but you will need a lot more then that to get this thing running properly if you want to do it.

Also what type of turbo is it?

Also I don't think you will get your TMIC to work. For those that are reading and don't know that is a Top Mount Intercooler. Not a lot of room under the hood to make it fit. Plus you would get a lot of engine heatsoak. Unless you made a custom fully functional hood scoop. IMO it would be easier to make an FMIC instead.