New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New Volvo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Volvo Owner

Hey everyone,

Just recently picked up a 1996 Volvo 850 turbo today with only 201kms... Dealer added on the R spoiler from new at owner's request Needs a little work, but I'm not too worried hopefully Saved it from being scraped by the dealership lol. It was a family owned car and came from the same dealership new. I wanted to buy a Volvo long time ago, but I could never seem to find the one I wanted (740 turbo with a manual). Not new to the European car scene, had a VW and a couple BMWs before. My VW had a turbo, so I'm somewhat skeptical on owning another turbo'd vehicle considering I had problems in the past, but I'm willing to give it another chance.

So, the problems with the car. Dealer had a look at it and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the car. They did a compression test, cleaned the plugs, and a fuel pressure test and everything was good. They told me it didn't start... So I had them turn it over to make sure the timing belt wasn't broken, well the car actually started right up and ran perfect. But when they removed the booster pack, it quit. I'm thinking it's either the alternator not charging or maybe a bad battery. Tried to charge the battery today when I got the car home and it would take a charge. So I'm going to try to induce a charge tomorrow and see if that works.

And a pic to follow of course

Last edited by ProStreetDriver; 05-02-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When I read that you got a R spoiler out of the deal I thought you meant the lower from lip. LOL

I think you simply have a BAD battery. Dont waste to much time charging it, if it wont stay running when jumped it has to be real bad.

Thnanks for the pic. Paint looks deep and shinny, nice tint, please please get some wheels on that thing.

Have fun and don't forget to read the NEW 850 OWNER thread.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got a good one. +1 on some wheels. Looking at those is making me ill.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I probably have an extra battery I can swap out for a test to see if that works. Oh I also forgot to mention the blower motor apparently doesn't work either. So that'll be either the resistor or motor itself seized.

Currently the car has super aggressive winter tires, so new rims/tires are a must... I don't want them to be chewed off on dry pavement.

Some odd coating on the parking lights. I'm assuming it's that urethane stick on stuff... It's all faded, so I'll have to pull that off too. Seems like a common thing in most of the pictures I see of other cars.

Timing belt was also done at 184km back on 08, so I'm happy I don't have to do that either!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a set of Volvo hubs if you want them. I'll give them to you if you pay for shipping. Let me know.

Volvo Hub Caps - 15"