New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Newest Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 AM
RT1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newest Newbie

Just wanted to say hey. This is my first time on a Volvo forum, so I'll be resurrecting old posts about simple stuff.

I've done a lot of work on my Camaro, and have received great advice and help from forums like this. Since the warranty is gone on my wife's 2004 S60, I'm looking for some stuff to tinker with.

Rob

Old 11-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Newest Newbie

Welcome to the forum.

What exactly are you looking at doing?

1. Engine

2. Suspension

3. Interior

4. Exterior

Also what model is the s60. If it is non turboed I would not do anything to the engine besides a K&N panel filter and possibly a 2.25" to 2.5" crush bent or mandrel bent catback system with a baffled muffler such as a Flowmaster.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:08 PM
RT1

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry I didn't post more info on the car...

It's a 2004 S60 2.5T AWD. Ordered it while I was stationed in Germany, and picked it up from the factory in Sweden. Here's a couple of pics. One from picking it up, and one when we got her home in the states (Had to take her to the beach).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/rt1/DSC00832.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/rt1/DSC02576.jpg

I'd like to do some minor engine mods, but mostly I registered to see what everyone else has done. Once I get to reading what everyone else has done, I'm sure to change my mind.

Rob

Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I would do is tint the windows. It cuts down on the heat inside the car and will result in longer life to interior. Plus, it looks cool. Quick and easy stuff is to add a K & N airfilter. After that it starts to get expensive.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:23 PM

Well again welcome to the forum. I can help you with modifications.

*I would do what is called a STAGE ZERO first. This will get your car in good running order. You can find info about STAGE ZERO here in this link, https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm

This link is also helpful, https://volvoforums.com/m_65537/tm.htm

Now I don't know what "minor engine mods" means to you but here it goes...

1. An ECU upgrade al be it exspensive is a typical engine upgrade. And if you can find an ECU upgrade that doesn't need the use of a PPC or softlaoder system you can get them for a lot less and it will be the biggest bang for the buck. This will also net you the most gain in power.

2. A downpipe is the second most popular engine upgrade and this is the next item that will net you the most power. Now I warn you downpipes for Volvo's are terribly exspensive. Unless you have a local muffler shop make you one, your wallet is going to be light for awhile. A 3" mandrel bent downpipe is the way to go. You can buy these premade at a huge price or have a local shop make you one. Be sure they can mandrel bent. You can also piece a downpipe together by buying mandrel bent pipe pieces and having them cut and then welded together as a local muffler shop.

3. Your next option is a catback system. And it doesn't sound like your going to upgrading the actual turbo so a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system will do just fine only do 3" if you plan to upgrade your turbo. 2.5" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing CAT and also a free flowing straight through design muffler such as a BORLA or Magnaflow will do just great. You will see some gains from this mod but not as much as the two above this one.

4. Intake. I would keep the stock intake. It is the best setup by far to date for our Volvo's. Slap a K&N panel filter in the box or some other kind of performance panel filter and your ready to go. If you want another type of intake system then you could go with an EST intake, you'll be sucking it a lot of hot air but you will get a great sound too. You wont gain much from this mod. 2-5 maybe 8 Hp max.

*Nothing for Volvo's are cheap...

Examples

1. ECU Upgrades: $320-$1200
2. Downpipes: $300 locally made possibly to $1500 for premade
3. Catback Systems: $300 locally made possibly to $1000+ for premade
4. Intake: $50 for panel filter, like $200 for EST intake, BMC CDA is like $350 or so.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 PM
RT1

Awesome, thanks man. I'm going to go read up on the Stage 0.

When I said minor engine mods, I ment like bolt on stuff. Not tearing into the engine, but put an intake/exhaust or see how much psi I can turn the turbo up to.

You said the EST sucks in hot air? So it doesn't get air from outside the engine bay?

Rob

Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 PM
RT1

Just looked at that EST... looks like its just a cone filter under the hood. Crazy.

Rob

Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: RT1

Awesome, thanks man. I'm going to go read up on the Stage 0.

When I said minor engine mods, I ment like bolt on stuff. Not tearing into the engine, but put an intake/exhaust or see how much psi I can turn the turbo up to.

You said the EST sucks in hot air? So it doesn't get air from outside the engine bay?

Rob
You have an LPT engine meaning Low Pressure Turbo. Which in turn means you shouldn't not run more then 15PSI max. 12PSI is a good boos tin performance. Also do not and I mean do not use a MBC (Manual Boost Controller). Volvo's made after 1998 have what is called ME7 and and ME7 doesn't like MBC's.

Well if you noticed with the EST intake it does have a heatshield. And the intake hose that brings in cool air for the stock intake does the same for the EST intake. However you noticed the EST intake isn't fully incased thusly hot air is able to get in unlike in your stock setup.

ORIGINAL: RT1

Just looked at that EST... looks like its just a cone filter under the hood. Crazy.

Rob
Yes basically all the EST intake is a cone filter attached to your MAF. Only difference is that it has a heatshield of sorts and still uses the stock air intake hose.