New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Power Steering Fluid Leak in 2004 Volvo XC90

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Leak in 2004 Volvo XC90

Hi - I do not do the work myself I just get on here and ask questions so that I am better informed. I have co-owned and mostly driven and serviced the 2004 xc90 since it was new (like 99% of the time). Point being...I know the car well.

My engine had been rattling after start up. Had complained about that for years but not sure when I stopped complaining or why it was never addressed by any mechanic. Well my serpentine belt came off a few weeks ago and the tensioner broke. After that tensioner repair, I no longer hear that rattle. Downside is about 5 days after I picked the car up, I heard a loud "whirring" noise. Not whining, "whirring". Then it got much worse. I stopped at the closest mechanic and he found it to be just about out of power steering fluid. The mechanic who repaired the tensioner never told me that I had a power steering fluid leak, and I never saw any signs that I had that problem before the pulley broke. How would a broken pulley cause a power steering system to leak? Or was this faulty workmanship? Or a bizarre coincidence? (Again, I was never told about this leak.)

The only symptoms my car has related to that, besides the leak, is that minor whirring noise briefly on cold mornings (like 25-35 degrees). That's it. Based on the symptoms I have read, the rack and pinion system seems ok (leak being the only symptom). What symptoms would my car have, if the power steering pump itself, is faulty (besides a leak)?

Any additional input is welcomed.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:21 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

When the belt comes off, it will break whatever it wants to. That's an ugly process, throwing a belt off.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has no symptoms of any other problem that would be related to what the belt runs, so if it was meant to break anything else, it would have done it.

They should have recommended a tensioner replacement when I repeatedly complained of the rattling noise, that would have avoided all of that.

So that is the second time that car has stranded me in 18 years, and that is not the fault of the car. Great car, just real real bad service that I have had. Not every mechanic or dealer has been bad, but they are definitely out there, for sure.

I think it's just an O ring that needs replacement as the car has no symptoms that it needs a new power steering pump.