New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Trans fluild for 97 850?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 PM
Default Trans fluild for 97 850?

Is Valvoline DEXTRON III/MERCON MULTI. PURPOSE IMPORT TRANS FLUID .Compatiable for my 97 850? Im thinking it may not.any comments would be helpful.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:44 AM

always best to check the owners manual

1997 Volvo 850

Note it shows Dex III / Mercon...

Old 03-26-2019, 01:02 PM
Default Re :Trans fluid for 97 850

Then Im good On the fluid parti was not sure evidently I was confused by the conflicting infprmation. From posts on the subhect..If I where to use the JWS. 3303. Would it matter .Its slipping to high heavan .To bad I it is not a manual. Transmission. Otherwise I would just add water. Threw the inspection cover an get. Couple more months out of it. It works surprisingly well .Found tbat out on a. Other vehical. After. Stem cleaning the engine & drivetrain for R&R. Trans for a New clutch. I pulled out of the. Drive an I was surprized too have my clutch back. Went 4 more months that way.Just add water.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:28 PM

the 850 transmissions are pretty solid - its made by Aisin, who also supplies Toyota. The problem cars were in the early 00s. WIth that said, a drain/fill and check of proper levels can't hurt.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 AM
Default Ah Ha ! Fixed

Today I set out to build the blink scan tool.after failing on the first one.I went an built on out of a desktop power on switch.same results. Wouldnt blink except when i hit the button.Same as the first try.From there I checked the fuse panal. Pulled relvent fuses.all good visually.I did replace the #3 (?) Tran. Engine.control.Then I went down an took aglance at the PNP.For an thing abnormal.Tugged on the harness double cheched the fluid level.(Sine I drained 1\2 a qt out earlier. * no results*)Shut the hoid.climb in an fired it up And it shifted unto R. Rolkwf a few feet the drive rolled a few feet. Repeating 3 times. Then leaving in D running I applued the pbrake an checked the fluid running in D w/ the p brake on! Guess what? Nithing on rhe dipstick! Put N still running p brake on.checked fluid Again no oil on stick! Fine whatever... Got in drove ir around the block 3 times. Perfect operations! Stopped. Park check fluid still nothing .parjed it an xalled it a day.. Would a half qt. Result in no reading on the dipstick. From a full reading? I read of the loose harness.But zipoage on the stick. Sounds like some sticky stuff getting un sticky.? P.S. check engine lught still on.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 AM

google the correct procedure for checking the transmission fluid level. The dipstick should have two lines on it for cold and hot. As you would expect the fluid expands so you want to measure with the engine cold then do the recommended driving cycle and measure again with the engine hot and adjusting as needed. Now that you have it running, you can do a second drain fill. The idea is, with each drain, approximately 40% of the old fluid remains in the transmission so you are now at about 60% new. Drain again and you'll be about 75% new. Third time moves you up to 80-85% new and the fluid should be a nice clear red to slightly red brown and you're good for another 100K.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:50 PM
Default Re

I ve never had a transmission so sensitive to the fluud level. The ah ha fixed was short lived. After. Warming the. Vehical till the thermostat registered. Half way. Then drriven one an a half miles It started sliping again.I immediately stopped cheacked an added a half qt.. HERE IS THE THING- I CAN SHUT. IT OFF. GIVE IT A MINIUTE .START IT BACK UP. IT WILL SHIFT INTO GEAR AN DRIVE .BUT ONLY BREIFLY. .A P0740-open torque converter circut.Has been added to the P0733 code. Also its possible that coolant maybe leaking into the trans fluid. Can I add STOP leak to the radiator .or would that be detramental in. Such a case.of coolant entering the trans fluid? I thank you for your time addresing my post's.I really like the vehical an would like too get it straighted out an keep it. Again thank you kindly