New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

volvo s40 died on bay bridge

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo s40 died on bay bridge

Hi there, I bought a used 2001 Volvo s40 about 3 months ago. About a week after buying the dank thing,it starts giving me problems. I took it back to the dealer,and he had the spark plugs changed. About a week or two after that happened,my check engine light would turn on and off. One morning it would be on,then later in the afternoon,it would be off. There was no obvious pattern to it. Eventually it stayed off. then I changed my battery,and my blinkers stopped working,on the outside and the inside of the car. Then the check engine light turned on. This weekend,I was driving on the bay bridge,in stop and go traffic. My car started shaking a bit. Then I was in stop and yo traffic, every time I would put my foot on the brake,the check oil light would turn on. Once I accelerated,the light would turn off. After about a minute of this, it just stayed on. Then,still in stop and go traffic,I came to a stop and my car died. I was able to turn in back on and drive about a foot,then it died on me again and black smoke started coming out of the back. When the towe arrived,my coolant was bone dry
So the following morning,I got some coolant and oil and filled her up. My car still won't turn on. When I turn the key in the ignition,my engine sounds like its about to start,butbit never does. The fan also turns on immediately.

I have zero car knowledge,so please spare me the sarcastic and snarky comments,and just help me! I have very little money,very little resources and I'm pretty much screwed. So any advice or ideas as to what is wrong,what I can do,and how much it will cost me,would be a life saver.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's highly likely that you have a blown head gasket and possibly a warped / cracked head due to the coolant loss and overheating.
You seem fortunate in that the motor is still turning over on the starter so has not seized despite the low oil level.
You have not mentioned above, your temperature gauge rising up into the red?

For starters i suggest you remove spark plugs and see if there is evidence of water sitting on the top of any of the pistons.
A bad head gasket leak may even show up with the engine turning over on the starter and being pushed out through the exhaust.
Coolant fluid may be leaking via a bad radiator hose or heater hose now the system has been refilled and is likely the initial cause of your problems prior to the motor getting cooked. Look for coolant ponding on ground under car etc.
Water may be evident in your oil. i.e. milky looking or foamy sludge under the oil filler cap.
Oil in your coolant could be evident although having just been refilled and the engine not having restarted and run for a period might be less obvious now.

Check the above initially, commencing with the easier ones first before removing plugs then you will be on the right track regarding your options going forward and obtaining estimates/costs to repair.
Lots of previously submitted posts in the forum on how to check for blown head gasket or near seized engine / overheating issues on the forum.
A search should give you a shorter list you can browse thru for additional information and steps to proceed for persons less knowledgeable on vehicle mechanicals.
Other members will have useful suggestions to follow also.