New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

What have i gotten myself into??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have i gotten myself into??????

Hi, new to the forum. OK, so i bought a 2000 S80 on Friday. I know, I know, I should have researched BEFORE i bought it, but it was pretty[sm=Awwww.gif]. I feel so stupid now[:@]. Anyway, i was thinking about getting a used car warranty or service contract or whatever it is. Can anyone recommend a good company to go with.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Default RE: What have i gotten myself into??????

try ge capital

Old 03-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Before you jump into an extended warranty, try to identify what it is you're tryingto accomplish by having one.

Most consumer agencies these days recommend against them, for both consumer goods as well as cars. See the following link I found by googling Consumer Reports Warranty (they did an expose article on extended warranties just recently).

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...s/why_buy.html

I recommend against them myself, unless there is something very specific you know will need to be done, or have a concern about. Even then, the dealer or warranty company will try to weasel out if they can, so you still have to be careful. Consumer Reports said much the same thing. The reason the companies push them so much is because they make a lot of money on contracts.

Myprevious employers in the manufacturing sector wanted me to sell them, but I never did because I couldn't see the value in them to the end user, and my customerswere major corporations!

A personal example; a fuel system component went out on my uncle's pickup last December and it ended up costing him $4,000 in repairs, and was not covered by his extended warranty... boy was he steamed.

Good luck in your decision, but I would always recommend against them myownself.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you're not completely happy with your purchase, but you would be able to save some $ by asking questions in this forum. For technical questions, try the S80 forum and if the S80 forum is slow, try General Volvo Chat. When in doubt with replies, follow Moderator Tech's advice.

As for extended warranty, I am 100% with bluemagicbus. I used to say 80-85% or more of the time extended warranty is useless, but I have revised the number to 90% or more recently. Some clever guy/gal came up with this bogus idea, and now it's everywhere. One member thought extended warranty was worth it, then after a while he had to resort to court/attorney because the dealer he bought the car & warranty from played game with him and refused to pay his warranty.

There are those who say they got the money's worth, but they are the minority and they don't seem to understand the situation, or they probably sell extended warranty for living. You may feel it's money's worth, UNTIL when the time comes for them to come up with hundreds of creative excuses not to pay. If you insist, however, I would research until I get sick andread all fine prints. However, rather than paying for extended warranty, I would either spend the money on scheduled maintenance or set the money aside for major repair such as transmission replacement.

Best of luck to you,

JPN

Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 AM

welcome to the forum!

~jon

Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. Save your money.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM

Welcome aboard.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You already sound like my daughter. She bought a 99 S80 T6 and was so proud of herself cause she got a fantastic deal. This was probably 3 or 4 years ago. She still has the car and loves it. Has had her share of problems, but the dealer has been fantastic about fixing things for little or no cost. Sometimes when she shows up with a batch of Chocalate Chip cookies, they don't charge her.

As you have discovered these cars are known to have there fair share of problems and the dealers know that. So they will fix quite a bit and write off the cost to the corporation. The fact that my daughter was working at a BMW dealership and bought the car off of a Mercedes lot might have something to do with them treating her right too though.

Once she got things fixed though, the car has been relatively trouble free, and it is a great riding car that is very fast.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Thank you for all your replies. I took the car to a repair shop today that specializes in foreign made cars. So far i have 2 problems. The first thing i need is to replace the sway bar links (i think i got that right) and i also need strut mounts. Both of those, parts and labor is gonna run me about $500. I just really hope that fixes the problem because i would like to enjoy the car for at least a little while. Thanks for the tip JimKW, i think i will try the "chocolate chip cookie approach". By the way, not thinking so much about the extended warranty anymore.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome to the forum.