Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

pld school way of handling high boost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pld school way of handling high boost?

Hi i have 2002 s60 ,it need's a lot of work. If I fix it I'm going to fix it the way I want it. It's not worth a lot I plan a sort of roadkill type volvo. With everything I can taken off to save weight, A big turbo on a custom pipe mounted in the air above the motor. I have two turbos that might work both from 2.3 ford turbo cars, can make 12-14lbs boost on a 2.3 ford. the bigger garret T3/t4 turbo maybe more I would use the stock front intercooler with a water/meth. injection system I have already, a boost gauge in the car and a adjustable bleed valve on the line leading to boost senser so car thinks it hasn't reached stock boost yet but the boost is really much higher. I have also seen where they cut the waistgate rod and weld in a adj. rod in its place so slight changes in length are possible I have a boost refenced fuel pressure regulator that will raise fuel pressure as boost goes up so car doesent lean out. I don't know if this would work it would be something you would have manually set so car doesn't lean out you can raise the level of fuel pressure you want with the amount of boost you have and raise it as boost goes up. anyway I know you can get a custom electronic tune but do you think tis would work? Not planning on spending much on this. Thanks

Old 07-22-2022, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

do you have a target HP total in mind? If you were going true Roadkill, you'd install a nitrous system (which brings its own oxygen so the mixture doesn't lean out...) :-) You'd probably need to install higher flow injectors - not sure if simply adding fuel pressure is going to get the job done, you should be able to find some green injectors for an S60/V70R (470 or so cc/min vs stock which is about 350) for cheap, but VIVA sells really big ones that are in the 650 range... The other thing to do besides managing heat (your water/meth injection system has that covered) is to allow the air to get out of the turbo - so you probably need a custom downpipe (3" or more) and consider a cat delete unless you go with a high flow cat. The rest of the exhaust can pretty much be a 3" straight pipe with perhaps a flowmaster or similar flow through bullet.

Last edited by mt6127; 07-22-2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for exhaust I'd like to have a custom plate on the exhaust outlet of turbo with 90 degree elbow welded to it. going straight up, then a 3" round flowmaster muffer with a tractor style flapper valve on top to keep the rain out. is that roadkill enough? One thing I was thinking to cool the intercooler better was to move the radiator away from the intercooler and remove the air cond. condenser completely. That would take some custom brackets as everything is supported and bolted to the air cond. condenser. I think the radiator can be moved back , raised a little and tilted like 40 degrees back over the front of motor. If you don't run a hood you can do that. as far as higher fuel pressure giving a engine more fuel that's been proven before, if it's the right amount of fuel that I don't know. It would take careful work with a air/fuel gauge to adjust the fuel pressure regulator just right. I don't know the hardest part in this setup for me would how I set the boost level up, and how to get the right amount of fuel and manage other parts of the fuel injection system. If I could just buy a out of the box tune for this car I'd think about it. I'm thinking with something like this they wouldn't get it right. anyway thanks for your post.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

if you are going the route of removing the AC/Condensor, why not find a bigger intercooler from another car and fab up your own mounts. Rather than installing a Garrett, why not rebuild your existing turbo? The TD04s use standard housing design and then vary the impeller/compressor wheels to up the pumping capacity. Your car probably has a 16T sized turbo now and you should be able to find some info on rebuilding that with 19T or 21T wheels for under $250 from eBay. I've seen other builds using a 21T on a Volvo producing 400-450 HP at the wheels which is enough to cook any of the automatic transmissions so I hope your car has an MT...