Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Boost control install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost control install

So I have a '95 850 turbo. I made my own boost controller which works well, I blow into one end and it's free flow and as I turn the **** it gets harder and harder to blow until it's completely blocked. so I understand the concept of that. But how do I install it? What hose/hoses does it run between? Is the tcv no longer needed? Please help!! Thank you!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa, wait a second here. That is not how the boost control works. The process is completely opposite of what you described. The TCV (turbo control valve) actually limits air from getting through the system then opens up when boost is higher. Your system is letting air through but limiting it when boost gets higher.
When the TCV opens up it sends positive charged air pressure to the wastegate actuator which opens up a bypass path for exhaust gases to slow the turbo spool down.
If you put whatever it is that you built in your system it will destroy your engine.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Whoa, wait a second here. That is not how the boost control works. The process is completely opposite of what you described. The TCV (turbo control valve) actually limits air from getting through the system then opens up when boost is higher. Your system is letting air through but limiting it when boost gets higher.
When the TCV opens up it sends positive charged air pressure to the wastegate actuator which opens up a bypass path for exhaust gases to slow the turbo spool down.
If you put whatever it is that you built in your system it will destroy your engine.
So there is no way to put a manual boost controller in? Then how can I raise boost safely?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Of course there is a way to put in a manual boost controller in. I just want you to understand how the process works before you start changing things. Manual Boost controllers have been created using parts from Home Depot but I recommend you purchase one simply for quality and performance. These are spring loaded devices that limit pressure until a given point where they let it past and opening the wastegate.

Some points you need to know. Your current system is set to boost to 9.6psi (T-5r 10.5psi). There is a factory fuel cut off at just under 15psi so you can play with your boost up to that point. To get past that fuel cut off threshold you will need a tune.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Of course there is a way to put in a manual boost controller in. I just want you to understand how the process works before you start changing things. Manual Boost controllers have been created using parts from Home Depot but I recommend you purchase one simply for quality and performance. These are spring loaded devices that limit pressure until a given point where they let it past and opening the wastegate.

Some points you need to know. Your current system is set to boost to 9.6psi (T-5r 10.5psi). There is a factory fuel cut off at just under 15psi so you can play with your boost up to that point. To get past that fuel cut off threshold you will need a tune.
OK, I get it. And imma ditch the Home Depot made one I bought and buy a real mbc. Lol. So are you saying my engine is somewhat "safe" up to 15 p.s.i.? And when I do get the mbc, which hoses does it splice in between?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

You can call it safe, more like protected.

You will be bypassing #16 and putting it between the green and yellow hoses.

Name:  vacuum-hose-diagram-850.jpg
Views: 4606
Size:  82.4 KB

Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 PM

You can call it safe, more like protected.

You will be bypassing #16 and putting it between the green and yellow hoses.

Awesome bro!! You answered everything I needed. Thanks so much.