Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Quick Questions-

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Questions-

Hey, i bought myself a 1993 940 turbo wagon..i dont know much about volvos but nissans i know like the back of my hand..my issue is i want abit more power and alittle better sound.. first question is ..is it ok to run a BOV on the stock motor (2.3L T) ..how can i get more boost/power out of this car. if you have any suggestions please respond!!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Quick Questions-

one more thing i forgot to mention ..boost controller..manual ones any good?..i cant afford a digital one, and the bov one more thing before i leave these to be answered..i heard it will stall my car? ohhh and 1 more..sorry!!!!! the damn radio i have a spare 7" LCD dvd player i wanna install into it..it has a secuirity system..can i cut the old harness or do you suggest me getting a harness from the local audio shop and not cut it? suggestions!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

GET A HARNESS for the radio.
You can adjust the waste gate some and install a manual boost controller. Don't go past 10 PSI. Also make sure you install an aftermarket boost gauge before messing with anything though.
I have seen many cars with a BOV on it and no problems stalling.
I have a MBC on my one 850 it works fine. (Bought from ebay for less than $15.00 including shipping)

Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

1. Make sure your car is in good working order before you modify it.

2. Do not mess with the actual wastegate. Just trust me on this one, just do not do it.

3. You can use a manual boost controller. However do not go above about 10PSI.

4. Be sure you have a boost gauge that can read at least 25 In Hg and 25 PSI.

5. You can run a BOV just fine. It could stall your car yes like a lot of things can, but I had one on my 199 s70 awd and it was fine and a lot of people have them on their 850's and 70 series models. I would run a HKS SSQV and have it welded to one of the Aluminum charge pipes under the hood. Run the vaccum line and you should be good to go.

5. You want a little bit more performance and sound. Don't be cheap and just buy a muffler. You wont gain any performance only sound.

What I recommend is a 2.5" mandrel catback system with a free flowing straight through design muffler such as a BORLA or Magnaflow.

What will give you the most power would be a new downpipe. I suggest a 3" mandrel bent downpipe.

I would have a local muffler shop make these for you, but be sure they can mandrel bend.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM

ok im going buy the harness today for the radio, the car is in amazing conditions, motor is strong..checked the compression on all cylinders, running like NEW! i was suprised..why not more then 10psi??? any other suggestions what i need or could do?

Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: RadekTracz

ok im going buy the harness today for the radio, the car is in amazing conditions, motor is strong..checked the compression on all cylinders, running like NEW! i was suprised..why not more then 10psi??? any other suggestions what i need or could do?
Still I would check things and make sure your turbo hoses and vaccum lines are in tip top shape. Etc.. STAGE ZERO my friend.

Why not more then 10PSI. Because your turbo can't handle it effiecently. It will be out of its effeicency range after about 10PSI.

K&N panel filter or custom CAI with cone filter. I already gave you the two exhaust mods that will help you our greatly.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:10 PM

ok, i installed everything as planned. can the exhaust be home made? cause my brother is an amazing welder ..he did the exhaust on his car and its still solid after 3 years , if so what size?...2 1/4 ...or 3" ??? and i want to replace the intake box for the turbo with a intake...i got a dry filter with all the piping..is it easy to install?? and my bov..i dont know how to freakin install it :P hahah tips&tricks anyone? i know how but problems is WHERE ..closer to the intake or closer to the turbo?..i got so many questions im REALLY SORRY!! i was thinking of putting on a bigger turbo..is it alot of work ?? or no. and if not where can i get one for cheap :P

Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM

ok, i installed everything as planned. can the exhaust be home made? cause my brother is an amazing welder ..he did the exhaust on his car and its still solid after 3 years , if so what size?...2 1/4 ...or 3" ??? and i want to replace the intake box for the turbo with a intake...i got a dry filter with all the piping..is it easy to install?? and my bov..i dont know how to freakin install it :P hahah tips&tricks anyone? i know how but problems is WHERE ..closer to the intake or closer to the turbo?..i got so many questions im REALLY SORRY!! i was thinking of putting on a bigger turbo..is it alot of work ?? or no. and if not where can i get one for cheap :P
1. Yes the exhaust system can be home made. But it should be made with mandrel bent piping to gain maximum performance.

2. You should go 3" mandrel bent piping for the downpipe and 2.5" mandrel bent piping for the catback system.

3. As far as the intake goes it is how easy you make it. You have to remove the MAF from the airbox and then remove the box itsself. Then attach the piping to the MAF via a coupler or some kind. Then run the piping where you want to and attach the filter on the end. Now I don't know if th 940 turbo has any lines going into or out of the airbox, if so your going to have to find a way to hook them up in the new piping.

4. You should attach your BOV as close to the throttle body as possible. What type of BOV is it and do you have a flange for it?

5. As far as a bigger turbo goes, I don't know what kind and size you have stock so maybe someone else does, but I wouldn't go much bigger. Also I would run more then 10-15 PSI max. Try EBAY or junk yards.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 PM

hmmm...well on factory i can only run 10psi witch sucks, im ordering a boost controller this week adn getting a gauge for the turbo aswell..im making the exhaust in 2 weeks when i have more money saved up..insurance is the most important thing right now..im just doing couple simple mods to it..the bov is a sqq something something[&:] ...mine is automatic..is it hard to convert to standard???

Old 11-19-2007, 06:04 PM

hmmm...well on factory i can only run 10psi witch sucks, im ordering a boost controller this week adn getting a gauge for the turbo aswell..im making the exhaust in 2 weeks when i have more money saved up..insurance is the most important thing right now..im just doing couple simple mods to it..the bov is a sqq something something[&:] ...mine is automatic..is it hard to convert to standard???
Yeah well you go bigger which means yeah it can handle more boost but your internals cannot. However a bigger turbo will handle 10PSI better then your stock turbo can.

HKS SSQV is a great bov.

You will have to find a manual transmission system that will fit your car. It will be a job to do.