Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

turbo swap without ecu upgrade. Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo swap without ecu upgrade. Is it possible?

I have a 2000 s70 glt, with a est intake, and a est catback on the way. I want to get a new dp from est and swap my 13g with a 16t. Can I do this swap without any other modifications? I will be getting an ecu upgrade in the future but would the car be fine on the 16t without the remap?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: turbo swap without ecu upgrade. Is it possible?

The car should be fine. Just don't do any crazy crazy driving. Don't put too much stress on the car is what I am saying.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:16 AM

Besides doing the whole stage zero thing, and what not, if any of us are deciding to switch to an upgraded turbo, for instance I am getting a garret t3/4 turbo, what are the components that need to be upgraded as well for the engine and powertrain to handle this new power? I'm thinking the exhaust, from the down pipe to the tips, air intake and an ecu chip tuning...Is there anything else? What about transmissions, for instance how will my automatic trans be affected by jacking up the power from the engine?

Old 04-19-2007, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: mcguij1

Besides doing the whole stage zero thing, and what not, if any of us are deciding to switch to an upgraded turbo, for instance I am getting a garret t3/4 turbo, what are the components that need to be upgraded as well for the engine and powertrain to handle this new power? I'm thinking the exhaust, from the down pipe to the tips, air intake and an ecu chip tuning...Is there anything else? What about transmissions, for instance how will my automatic trans be affected by jacking up the power from the engine?
1. 3"downpipe (Mandrel bent)

2. 3" catback system with a straight through design muffler like a Magnaflow. (Mandrel bent)

3. Your stock intake is the best setup you have. Unless you want to build a custom setup keep the stock. Just put a K&N panel filter in there or an OEM paper filter.

4. Your intercooler. I would suggest making a custom FMIC setup. FMIC's are better then an OEM intercooler any day of the week.

5. Possibly injectors, but I wont say def. change them to higher flowing ones just yet.

6. Transmission should be able to hold about 300Hp. With all the new upgrades you will put more wear and tear on the system. You could go to Level 10 and have them beef up for automatic transmision, but that will cost you atleast $5,000 to do. You could do a manual swap. If there is a manual for your model s40. You may want to think about adding a transmission cooler though and an oil cooler. These will help you out. Not to mention you will want a WIDEBAND 02 gauge not a Narrowband and also EGT gauge.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:15 PM

im going to look into a manual trans, i live 10 minutes from level 10 and I'm not sure theyre the way I want to go as far as that...and im currently looking into a universal intercooler....

Old 04-19-2007, 03:36 PM

im going to look into a manual trans, i live 10 minutes from level 10 and I'm not sure theyre the way I want to go as far as that...and im currently looking into a universal intercooler....
Level 10 is ok. A few people have had loads of problems with them. I personally know one of the people.

Yes a FMIC like this one,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...05804752QQrdZ1

Or this one,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...06572824QQrdZ1

Should work. Do not go over 3" in thickness, more then likely it wont fit. 2.5"-2.75" is good for thickness. I would measure also the space where the FMIC would go. Which is right in the front bumper. Will look something like this,

Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM

I am definitely buying one, possibly today. How long you think the install on one of those would take? Also, how much hp gain if any will i get from upgrading the intercooler?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:24 AM

I am definitely buying one, possibly today. How long you think the install on one of those would take? Also, how much hp gain if any will i get from upgrading the intercooler?
It will take awhile to get the right tubing in the right places. I would say a good 5+ hours.

You will gain more Hp how much I don't know.