Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Fill up the tank early in the morning

Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fill up the tank early in the morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSxgB1lSwo

I worked for 8 years for a gasoline pump manufacturer. Gasoline thermal expansion has been a well-known problem forever. Tank inventory systems have adjusted inventory readings since the 80´s. I don´t understand why they are saying that the Kansas Star discovered this in 2006. That´s ridiculous.

Bottom line is that you save money if you fill your tank early in the morning. You will get more fuel for the same money.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fill up the tank early in the morning

Thanks for the useful & helpful info, Axel.

Sadly, I do not even have a tricycle at the moment.

JPN

Old 11-30-2007, 02:56 AM

My four year old son isn´t using his tricycle any more. Maybe I can ship it to Japan?[8D]

Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes please.

JPN

Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some helpful people work in the petroleum industry. Here are some more tips that were circulated a few weeks ago by an employee of another company.[/align][/align]When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

[/align]

[/align]
[/align]

[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 12-01-2007, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: billofdurham

Some helpful people work in the petroleum industry. Here are some more tips that were circulated a few weeks ago by an employee of another company.[/align][/align]When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

[/align]

[/align]
[/align]

[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Most pumps do not have vapor recovery. It depends on local regulations, but most places don't have it. Places like Mexico DF, Santiago de Chile, and California have vapor recovery. I don't know about Europe though.

Regarding pumping gas while a truck is dropping fuel in the underground tank is absolutely true. You wouldn´t believe the dirt that is deposited in the bottom of the underground tanks.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would...i worked in subsurface investigation for 4 years and the biggest money maker for us was LUST sites....which has nothing to do with this discusion. But I've seen the bottome of some of those tanks and WOW.....some of them had up to 9 inches of water at the bottom.

Whatch WHERE you get you gas from too people....look at the drainage paterns of the pump island canopy. if there are over flow scuppers or drips on the filler hole...stay away from that station!

There's a big law suit in my neck of the woods regarding diesel full at a chain of stores ALL designed the same way.....with a down spout on top of the diesel tank covers. hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage to diesel engines everywhere.