Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

HDTV (I need HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HDTV (I need HELP)

Ok so all this HDTV craze that is going on. Yeah...

1. I really want one badly.

2. The switch over isn't going to happen till 2009 effiectivly.

NTSC
ATSC
QAM
CableCARD

I have GOOGLED these terms and Wikipedia'ed them as well. It is seriously very confusing.

*I know NTSC is standard analouge TV.
*From researching ATSC allows you to recieve ATSC digital TV. And most new HDTV's come with ATSC.
*From researching QAM allows to you recieve, a digital signal as well and get HD channels. Without an STB.
*CableCARD descrambles the scambled HD channels.

Now I also know that you either need a SetTopBox (STB) to get HD TV not to mention HD service. However I am told you can get HD TV via a CableCARD as well without the use of an STB.

*Most TV's do not currently come capable of using a CableCARD. I have only seen three on the internet that are.

This is all crazy and foreign to me. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HDTV (I need HELP)

s70 driver, you should try joining a HDTV forum, it helped me heaps.
In Australia, i had to change my Aerial to receive HDTV in conjunction with a HD or SD Set Top Box, no box required if the Tv had a built in HD tuner, HDTV is huge in Australia
Cable is not so huge here, we Have Fox ( in Australia) , but it's expensive and it replays the same crap over & over again..

good luck
v70 2.4t

Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see cablecard becoming the norm. I have a 50" with cablecard. I am supposed to believe you get the card from your service provider. The benefit is that it gets HD without the need for a box (no box for cable and no box for HD). The drawback is that you only get 1-way service, so you cannot get onscreen guides and OnDemand to work, so who would bother.

I've seen the term QAM and ATSC (over the air tuners) used almost interchangeably. I was under the impression that these were the analog HD signals (as opposed to NTSC). I just have an HD compatible antenna and connect it through ANT. It picks up the local stuff great, which is all simulcast in both SD and HD. Pretty soon I'll just pay the extra for full HD service.

I don't see any reason to hold off purchasing any longer except to save a few bucks. Samsung seems to have a clear lead. With plasma and lcd, its all about the contrast ratio. Also multiple HDMI inputs would be nice. Oh, by now you probably know about the 1080P thing. Until BluRay or HD DVD become cheaper I would certainly take advantage of the cheaper 720P/1080i sets.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: 01_fast_ride

I dont see cablecard becoming the norm. I have a 50" with cablecard. I am supposed to believe you get the card from your service provider. The benefit is that it gets HD without the need for a box (no box for cable and no box for HD). The drawback is that you only get 1-way service, so you cannot get onscreen guides and OnDemand to work, so who would bother.

I've seen the term QAM and ATSC (over the air tuners) used almost interchangeably. I was under the impression that these were the analog HD signals (as opposed to NTSC). I just have an HD compatible antenna and connect it through ANT. It picks up the local stuff great, which is all simulcast in both SD and HD. Pretty soon I'll just pay the extra for full HD service.

I don't see any reason to hold off purchasing any longer except to save a few bucks. Samsung seems to have a clear lead. With plasma and lcd, its all about the contrast ratio. Also multiple HDMI inputs would be nice. Oh, by now you probably know about the 1080P thing. Until BluRay or HD DVD become cheaper I would certainly take advantage of the cheaper 720P/1080i sets.
We don't care about cable guides or on demand or any of those premium channels like HBO, ShowTime, Etc... We have a TV guide that run constantly on station 8 her ein my town that tells me what is on TV. Now Discovery HD is something I would like to get.

1080i and 1080p from what I have been told you cannot truly tell the difference by looking at it.

I don't want to hold off on purchasing it is my parents that are. They do not and will not accept a HD box. They want the CableCARD option. but from what I have seen on a forum that the CableCARD goes down just like a wireless internet system does and believe me my wireless internet goes down daily.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 PM

I find a lot of those tech forums are way beyond my knowledge, and I think if you aren't familiar w/ electronics, you'll be lost big time.

You might just want to take a trip to Best Buy and talk w/ one of the sales reps....

Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

I find a lot of those tech forums are way beyond my knowledge, and I think if you aren't familiar w/ electronics, you'll be lost big time.

You might just want to take a trip to Best Buy and talk w/ one of the sales reps....
Did didn't help. Told us basically that they don't sell any TV's with CableCARD capabilities except for in their Magnolia center which isn't for us because we don't want to spend $3k plus we want to spend less then $2500 probably less then $2000.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:16 PM

I know its kinda late to be asking, but have you been looking for lcd, plasma or dlp? CircuitCity has a Mitsubishi 57" 1080p HDMIx2 with cablecard for $1400. If you've got the room for it, thats a whole lot of tv. I was kind of surprised at how quickly I got used to my 50" being in the living room. Went from a 32" lcd to this but now I couldn't imagine going smaller.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 AM

I know its kinda late to be asking, but have you been looking for lcd, plasma or dlp? CircuitCity has a Mitsubishi 57" 1080p HDMIx2 with cablecard for $1400. If you've got the room for it, thats a whole lot of tv. I was kind of surprised at how quickly I got used to my 50" being in the living room. Went from a 32" lcd to this but now I couldn't imagine going smaller.
Currently we want to replace one TV. We want an LCD and it has to be 40".

Old 10-09-2007, 09:17 AM

40 or 42? I think I get it. I'll keep my eyes open for any with cablecard while I'm surfing today.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:28 AM

40 or 42? I think I get it. I'll keep my eyes open for any with cablecard while I'm surfing today.
We want a 40" HDTV with CableCARD capabilities.

Someone on another forum found four for me. However I can't seem to buy them at BestBuy or CircuitCity.

- Samsung LNR409D 40" LCD Flat Panel HD-Ready TV
- Sony's 40" KDL-V40XBR1 BRAVIA® XBR® LCD Flat Panel HDTV
- JVC 40" Flat Panel LCD HDTV — LT40X776
- JVC LT-40FH97 40" 1080p Flat Panel LCD HDTV

Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 AM

I'm not sure why your stuck on the cablecard access, unless you really don't want a cable box. I have verizon fios TV, and have one of their HD stb's with DVR.

I have a friend who went the cable card route with comcast, every 2 weeks or so he has to call and complain to comcast because they've turned off his cable card access. As previously said, you loose the guide and on-demand function.

My best recomendation is to get your butt over to bestbuy and talk to the sales guys, look at what they have, write down model numbers and then come home and do research.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 AM

And like I said I have gone to BestBuy multiple times. Talked with the guys there. We know what TV we want. However there are none there with CableCARD access capabilities.

I could careless about CableCARD, but it is my dad who wants it and not the STB.

I'm not going to repeat myself again.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:39 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two Sharp Aquos flat screen LCD t.v.'s. My cable provider is Comcast. Both t.v.'s are HDTV and the quality of the 'non HDTV programs' is not as sharp and clear as another Sharp Aquos LCD flat screen t.v that I own that is 'HDTV ready'. However when telecasts such as golf, football, and some local programs are sent in HDTV the picture is stunning! With Comcast I do not require a separate box to receive the HDTV telecast. As a matter of reference, I purchased all three Sharp Aquos sets at Circuit City.

r.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: reg

I have two Sharp Aquos flat screen LCD t.v.'s. My cable provider is Comcast. Both t.v.'s are HDTV and the quality of the 'non HDTV programs' is not as sharp and clear as another Sharp Aquos LCD flat screen t.v that I own that is 'HDTV ready'. However when telecasts such as golf, football, and some local programs are sent in HDTV the picture is stunning! With Comcast I do not require a separate box to receive the HDTV telecast. As a matter of reference, I purchased all three Sharp Aquos sets at Circuit City.

r.
Yeah you can get HDTV over the Air via QAM or ATSC. However if you want programs such has Discovery HD you need either a CableCARD or Set Top Box.