Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

No driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No driver?

Will you be the first one on your block to buy a driverless car? I even wonder about the auto-brake systems. My wife's Honda has a collision avoidance alarm that beeps (and no other action) to alert you of impending doom. That thing goes off all the time with certain shadows across the sensor or other mysterious circumstances that are not even slightly dangerous. If that little beeper was attached to my brake pedal, I'd have been rear-ended fifty times already.

I admire the quest to improve technology, but the "stepping-stone" approach, pressing imperfect technology into action before it's really ready, worries me.

On the other hand, there are some REALLY terrible drivers out there. Maybe it would be an improvement for them? I got behind a guy weaving from side to side. As I passed him I could see he was shaving with an electric razor, looking at himself in the rear view mirror!

Old 11-11-2018, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we just need more rigorous tests for new drivers. Maybe something like acceleration/swerve/brake monitoring for the first 10,000 miles they drive. Less people on the road is better for traffic, and public transport could get most bad drivers around to be honest. It's just a matter of selfishness, especially with people shaving like that. I drive to work e very day where people hang in the passing lane, and want to honk at me/finally hit the gas and catch up when I pass them on the right and cut them off. Driverless cars just increase your risk of dying to a freak accident, rather than dying to your own negligence as is the case with many accidents.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I also think so!