Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Solar Trickle Chargers????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Solar Trickle Chargers????

This condo living presents one challenge after another.
Newest one has to do with the fact that there is only parking space for 2 cars, so I am storing my Tahoe at a storage facility.3 1/2 months and both times I've tried to drive the car the battery is dead. Although I replaced the battery the first time I knew that it would die again - always has after sitting 3 or 4 weeks, but that wasn't a problem sitting in my garage, 3 feet from my battery charger/starter.
So. I'm looking at these solar trickle chargers - just need enough to offset the computer or whatever else is drawing current (battery shop couldn't find anything untoward) and I'm too lazy to remove battery cables all the time. And I really will only drive it 3 or 4 times a year so I need to replace whatever is being lost, not just trickle a little(in other words, a 5 watt charger won't cut it, maybe 10 watts?)

So, has anyone got a brand recommendation. Or a "don't buy this one at any cost".

Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps the best battery maintainer I have seen is made by CTEK. I recommend the US7002 model for your needs. It's a bit of money but money well spent.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 01_fast_ride
Perhaps the best battery maintainer I have seen is made by CTEK. I recommend the US7002 model for your needs. It's a bit of money but money well spent.
Thanks, that is indeed a nice charger - but the nearest AC outlet to my car is over 100 feet away. (I have doubts that the extension cord and/or charger would be there very long,)That's why I inquired about a solar trickle chargers. If I could put a solar panel on the dash board it would be secure.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VW ships every car to America with a solar powered trickle charger suction cupped to the windshield inside, and plugged into the cigarette lighter port. If you search on eBay they pop up occasionally for between $25 and $50. They use them for maintaining the cars during shipping or at the port docks.