Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Somthngfrce's Emotional Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SiR, you are correct on the higher levels of Boost and intercooler.... So I am also on the lookout for an R, t5 OR t6 motor to drop in. There's plenty of room in the bay for that! But lets see what I find.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, those bays are HUGE. What kind of fabbing do you have to do to make one of those motors fit?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 AM

you guys talking bout karrs?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:21 AM

Yup, we're discussing 240 fabrication until something hits me and then I need to release (which is what she said!) and I have to change the topic.... Gilbert, I think all you have to do is fabricate and weld the mounting brackets for the motor and maybe for the transmission. There should be room in the bay for the motor and under for the tranny. Once those 2 are in, then you would need to mock up all the other essentials and see what other mounting brackets you would need for everything else... I would assume that you could use all the other liquid bottles and just run longer/shorter lines.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Damn, that sounds like a lot, but in one of those cars it would be sweet. Definitely make that little car a beast.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 AM

And that's the whole point! You think this little unsuspecting 240 has no power, untill you hear the turbo spool and off you go! All you will see is their jaw drop....

Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 PM

OK, no longer is this just your emotional release, I have to release something () that I've been starting to think about here and there. I know I've gone back and forth quite a bit on this topic, but I can't make up my mind.

So I've been thinking a lot lately, pondering if you will, I've been questioning my wagon rebuild. And I'm starting to question if I should rebuild my wagon or my sedan. Being done with school in a year and half (when I bought the wagon I was on the 5 year plan, I am now going to be able to finish college in 4 years), I think finishing my wagon would be cutting it close. What I'm mostly concerned with is once I start taking it apart I don't know what I'm going to find.

It has 300k miles on it and I'm worried that I'm going to have to replace close to everything on the car, mechanically wise, as well as parts here and there (tailgate struts, glove box, tail lights, hood, hood release, there's just things like that all over it). The PO appeared to not know what maintaining a vehicle meant and had no records of the car at all, which didn't bother me since I was planning on replacing just about everything. I'm really bent on which one to go ahead with, everything that I have bought for the wagon will work in the sedan (same years), I could part out the wagon and some of the parts that are trim specific I bought and recuperate the the cost of buying it. I just don't know, I've always wanted a wagon, at the same time, I'm only 21, I have plenty of time to own one still.

I'm also taking into effect of what I don't finish here, won't be that easy to do once I'm done with college. My goal is to move to VA for graduate school, or somewhere on the East Coast for that matter, so working on the car will not be feasible like it is now.

Also, the sedan has had probably close to 1500 in parts in the last year or two with a tune up and various other parts, not to mention an exhaust about 6 months ago, all it needs is a sport cat.

UGHHHGGHGH, I don't know what to do.

What do you guys think. (aaaahhh, now that was a release)

Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Well being my thread (lol) let me chime in and say that if you're going to dump that kind of money, then do it to which ever vehicle you will be driving the most as your DD. Sounds like your sedan is a better candidate for the money which will be less of and will only make the sedan that much reliable. Maybe you flip the wagon and pick something else. Plus with whatever profit you make, you might be able to buy a cleaner wagon.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM

That's what I'm trying to do. I want a reliable DD, it has to be able to go for a long distance first off, and when I do move, I have to know that I'm not going to have to do anything major to it. My fear is that with the wagon, in order to make it a reliable vehicle I would have to put a lot of money into it, basically replace everything that was just replaced on my sedan. And the money that I could save with rebuilding the sedan I would be able to buy some of the fun stuff that I wanted to with the wagon.

If I knew I was still going to be on the 5 year plan with school, I would definitely do the wagon, but now that I only have one and half years left of school, I don't know if I would be able to afford to fully rebuild the wagon to take it with me. Then what? I'd be screwed.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Sounds like you answered your own question..............

Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
Sounds like you answered your own question..............
I KNOW!!!!! BUT I LOVE WAGONS SO MUCH EVEN THOUGH I'M ONLY 21 AND IT'S NOT LIKE THIS IS MY ONLY OPPORTUNITY TO OWN ONE.

I literally shouted that as I typed it. I wish I could afford (time and money wise) to rebuild the wagon, but I think at this point, it'll be really hard.

You are so wise Mr. Fierce.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 PM

This is getting weird, is it possible? could it be happening? Gabe might be morphing into somthngfrce! The one needing emotional rescue is acting rational, and the rational, is in need of emotional rescue! Dich the wagon, rock the 4 door, save your money find a sweet wagon, be happy. Meet a female, have kids at the wrong time, buy a house, go broke. In the end if all works out right, you will still have all that really matters, a Volvo.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 AM

Gil, you can still rock a wagon, just flip that one and find one in better condition..... That simple.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by silkhope
This is getting weird, is it possible? could it be happening? Gabe might be morphing into somthngfrce! The one needing emotional rescue is acting rational, and the rational, is in need of emotional rescue! Dich the wagon, rock the 4 door, save your money find a sweet wagon, be happy. Meet a female, have kids at the wrong time, buy a house, go broke. In the end if all works out right, you will still have all that really matters, a Volvo.
and now Silkhope is morphing into Dr. Phil! jk

Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by silkhope
HAHAHA. I seriously LOL'd when I read that, awesome way to start the morning.

We all have our weak moments, we're all human

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
Gil, you can still rock a wagon, just flip that one and find one in better condition..... That simple.
Unfortunately right now I will only be able to afford one or the other. I think I'll probably rebuild the sedan, make it cross country worth, and when I move to VA or wherever I end up for grad school, I'll start looking for a 01+ Cross Country.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I wish I had gone for a V40 instead of the S40.

Is that blasphemous?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:34 PM

I just had lunch with my Dad, and he could definitely see where I was coming from with rebuilding the 854 instead of the 855. He understood, I think that's what I'm going to do.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM

Somthngfrce sorry about the stodgy thing and thanks for that video, wow nice cars and what sound. As a peace offering I came across this

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

looks pretty clean!! You better hurry before I get there and buy her up

I'm with you and Gilbert there is just something about a Volvo wagon. It's like they were just meant to be.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the link, Bobec...... However, that's WAYYYY too much money for that Wagon, and that stealer wants tag, tax, etc...on top of all that! I can go get an 01 wagon at the auction here for that! I know I can get a 91-93 wagon between $500-$1,000 private party all day long here in town. I just have to be patient. I also want a 5 speed.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Oh and YES! Volvo Wagons are meant to be..................

Quick Reply: Somthngfrce's Emotional Release Thread