Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Warranties? Auto Repair Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranties? Auto Repair Insurance?

I have a 1997 Volvo 850 GLT. This may seem like a silly question, but can I purchase a warranty this late in the game? Can I purchase anything that will help pay for the cost of repairs for my Volvo? I know there are some things out there in the event that you get into an accident, but is there any kind of coverage for automobiles that I may not be aware of? Basically, why can't there be something like health insurance for cars? If there is, please let me know because the cost of recent repairs is enough to pay insurance premiums on something.

Anything to help with costs or special programs or incentives for teachers or something. I'm about ready to go back to school to become a mechanic or go out of my way to date a mechanic. How awful is that?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Dating a mechanic is not bad at all. Unless you are just dating him to cover one of your bases. Will you have 4 boyfriends? Like a dentist, a doctor, a mechanic and a party boy??? A mechanic would not mesh well when he finds out about the others, unless he's in the next town and you live in a mid to large city. That's it, spread them around and act like you work a lot.

As for warranties, yes there are companies that offer them if your car meets their guidelines. Most of them have a 150,000 mile limit for starting the coverage and some have a 10 year model limit. But to try to smooth things out a little, I believe it cost around $75 per month to drive a used Volvo. That's a lot less than new car payments. So, budget about $75 per month and you should be fine. Another option is to allot youself 6 car payments of $500 each, put that money into the car in 6 months and you should be good for a few years.