Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

What did you do to your car today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New window washer reservoir and high pressure pump.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Default my 92 740 today

What did I do today? Realized that the 123 code I've got is caused by the 2nd temp sensor,not the one going to the gauge,sooooo: removed the fuel rail and intake manifold. Went to Harbor Freight and got a stubby ratchet to get that next-to-last nut off and replaced the temp sensor with a 19mm socket! Since this is the 2nd time I've had the manifold off I've decided to clean and /or replace everything nearby.To that end,I have pb blaster soaking the nuts on the throttle body.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart man. Luv my stubby 3/8ths. Have a 1/4in rachet with swivel head thats real handy. Doing preventative maintenance while your there is smarter than ignoring it and having to repair something later in the same place removing the same stuff. I like to decide when I work on mine, not along side the road when it decides to break!

Old 10-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Default what did I do?

Yeah, except I'm a woman! .gotta go see if I can get that TB off today.Don't know about that little screw on the right side by the black plastic box-it doesn't even look like it has a nut on it. ??? It will be nice to get this back together so I can just go back to washing and waxing for a while !

Old 10-11-2016, 04:50 AM

Man or women still smart maintenance. Did u succeed in the repair? FYI, tests have shown Liquid Wrench works better. I keep both. PB 4 easy stuff, LW 4 hard stuff or hard 2 get at or delicate aluminum studs/nuts. LW much better on heavy rust, like exhaust.

Last edited by MSGTUSMC; 10-11-2016 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 10-11-2016, 07:37 AM

Ok thanks for that info. I think I have some LW around here.I haven't been able to get that throttle body off,but I did clean every other hose and thing nearby. It seems like it would be easier to loosen the nuts after the manifold is put back on,because you get more back pressure that way. I'll try the liquid wrench and see what happens. Really eager to put this back together and see if my cel goes off.Maybe clean TB later.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Where did you get these? Thanks. P/N? Projector head lights.

Last edited by MSGTUSMC; 10-28-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:03 AM

Did you get it fixed? tinkerbelle.

Last edited by MSGTUSMC; 10-28-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:27 AM

Well, I couldn't get the throttle body off so I decided to put it back together and do that later.-Nuts are soaking in L.W. BUT: It now does not start! Sounds like it's out of gas but it's not. It was running before this latest repair.The good news is the sensor I put in has gotten rid of the 123 code. There are 2 cables (intake hoses?) that I forgot where they went. I usually mark them but I guess I just got cocky. Could this be the reason for the no-start? One of the hoses comes up from the cluster of wires at the firewall and its thin hard plastic with a 1''piece of rubber at the end and a little tab on the end with a hole in it.The length is such that I can fit it through the hole in the oil dipstick top with about an inch left over. Don't know where it goes. I took pictures before the dismantle but it didnt help. BTW-I can hear the fuel pump whine,I have a new FP relay-it clicks- and both fuses are good. Bet you're sorry you asked!

Old 10-28-2016, 08:23 PM

Took out PNP (or Gear Position Sensor). Cleaned contacts. Failed miserably. Then I realized why, I forgot to put the springs in there. :facepalm:

Now to go and find where I dropped them. lol.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:45 PM

omg-listen to this: The coil wire had come off when I was taking the intake manifold off and I didn't know it! plugged it in and it started right up! No check engine light either. It's DONE. I can get plates and drive it again-wow and Wooooooo

Old 10-30-2016, 11:12 AM

Glad to hear. You sound like the rest of us "mechanics". The little things cause big headaches and always check & double check. Good work, go cruising! Power steering pump just quit on my 98 C70. $161 4 reman OEM. 57k miles on my car. Going to pump out old fluid & change when it comes in mail. Arm muscle on start up and 1st moving car but more road feel driving. Looked like simple line removal and bolt removals, but double checked utube video for tricks/cautions. Even old timers can learn. Better safe then sorry or create a problem with a simple job. Done that B 4. Video even lists tools required so I can line them up on my portable table to do with rags etc. Turn on radio, beer cold. Should be a 40 min. repair. Then test drive, check fluid.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:36 AM

Hope that repair goes well for you. 57k miles and p.s. pump fails? I wouldn't have thought that. Did you get your new one from IPD? Yep- radio sure helps the repair job sail along- I listen to ourmusicalroots.com. Think I'd have MY beer afterward,tho! ( I need all the brain power I can get!)

Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 PM

Great to see ladies wrenching on their cars! You go, Tinkerbelle!

I'm Wes, but I go by ratmonster on the interwebs. I have an intro thread if anyone is, like, painfully bored or something.

Today, I only drove my Volvo (1992 240 wagon). But in the last two weeks I have deleted the muffler (still has a large resonator up front) and completed the air box modification that deletes the thermostatic flapper valve and imports additional cold air. A couple of almost-free mods for a little more performance!

Old 10-31-2016, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the encouragement ratmonster! I never intended to do these huge repairs but one thing lead to another and pretty soon I'm doing a cylinder head swap. Good grief. Believe me, I'd rather be baking brownies! But you know how these cars are-they just beg you to work on them.So darn needy. So,sounds like you made your car into a do-it yourself Turbo! Nice! Fun to do work that doesnt really 'need' to get done-like a water pump-ugh. Hey-I'll stop in on your intro thread when I got a minute. Tink

Old 11-19-2016, 08:13 PM

Hello all, I just picked up this 1993 Wagon a/t last weekend. Today I paid other people to put on 50% tint.
Name:  tint50percent_zpssr4m9huv.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  303.0 KB

Last edited by kg7rtz; 11-19-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Default Adding more bits

New front suspension: stock height springs, koni struts, and new ball joints.
Picked up some 7x17" Sagittas that came off of a wrecked s40.
Tow bar and and Hella 500ff lights coming this weekend.

Name:  volvoshop_zpsyyfqkirp.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  392.7 KB

Last edited by kg7rtz; 12-06-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapped a cluster from a '93 240 into my '92 240... went from 160,480k to 209,240k just like that! Everything on the "new" cluster seems to work... unlike the old one.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:23 PM

I got mine in/out of the shop for some control arms/bushings, alignment, brake fluid change. Then tried a different car wash since the one near me was broken (again) What a difference. I got home and was startled how clean it was. Didn't even have to touch the wheels. On the other hand Ive only averaged about 250 miles a month on it so less than average dust I guess. My job gives me a company van so I dont really need a third ride.

A great tip a mechanic buddy told me that I use on my service job is taking pictures before the work starts. Helps me locate things just in case. For me I sometimes have a wire harness or connector left over. A start picture or 2 can show you where it went before you started. Take your pics from multiple angles. Helps on the mechanical side too. And some times you have to draw the customer a picture. Its saved my bacon a time or two, especially if you have to walk away from the task at hand for an evening. The memory does slip a bit at my age. Cant remember what I had for breakfast. Wait, I dont eat breakfast.....hmmmm

Old 05-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Front end alignment and oil change.

This is a followup from a front end rebuild.
Struts
Ball Joints
LCAs
All three engine / trans mounts
subframe bushings
power steering rack

I tape measured the alignment as best as I could but it was a bit out Took my car to a shop that one of the forum members used to work at to get an alignment only to find out he was no longer there. The new guy spun out the tie rods almost all the way to get things in spec which I wasn't happy with. Guess I'll be taking it to the dealer for a redo at some point. If anyone knows a good alignment shop around Raleigh NC let me know.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your car today?