Transmission Shift Solution - AW 55-50 (asin-Warner)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shift Solution - AW 55-50 (asin-Warner)

For those of you that are having Issues with your Volvo XC70 Transmission. Here are a few things Myself and others here have done to solve their issues.

Is your XC 70 slipping, flaring, or a bang in between gears? I have emailed a few Volvo mechanics to help with this Thread.
First check your fluid, look for the tell-tell signs like the color of the fluid, in most cases since this transmission do not have easy acessible filter, I suggest a inline filter (check with your mechanic). The fluid would be dirty, if not changed at the proper intervals. This condition will also clog your solenoids causing them to malfuction. You might be able to solve your shifting problems with just a fluid change. However, you are looking at a 50/50 chance of success. Volvo has also had a issue with the Netural Safety feature of this transmission, you will have to go to a Volvo dealer or buy your own 'Vida dice' and remove this feature in your TCM by a Software update.

I personally have a 2001 XC70 that I love, When I first Got it, I had a issue with the ABS module. I found a posting about the bad factory soldering on the Pin connector, and yes that was one of my problems. I re-solder those pins and my ABS and Brake warning lights no longer displayed. But I also found out that I had other issues. My Valve body solenoids were no good, I bought a Linear Solenoid repair kit ($99 on ebay) I followed the instructions and even look at a video on 'youtube' to get futher instructions. In short, the kit corrected some of my issues like a bang between gears, and it even reduced the flaring, however it didn't fix the problem. I then ordered a 'Volvo Vida dice' from china, After a vida dice read, I began to see my problems. The selonoids I rebuilt even after doing the ohm test, were no good. The 'Vida dice' showed those selonoids as a bad reading, and the SLU solenoid was shut open. Even the S4 solenoid was showing a shut open on the 'vida dice'.

You might solve your problems with just replacing the three Linear Solenoids (SLU, SLT, SLS) it's a 50/50 chance of success. I suggest a complete valve body rebuild with all the solenoids replaced. You can search online or you can buy all your parts either on ebay, or @ cobratransmission.com

There have been other suggestions regarding the change of your B4 servo, this might also help. But remember, whatever work you do, you will have to re-learn this Transmission. You can either search online to re-learn your transmission, or you could email me, I will provide those instructions freely. Maybe someone here could post them.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS JOB TWICE! YOU HAVE TO LOWER THE SUB-FRAME TO GET TO THE VALVE BODY ON THIS TRANSMISSION. IT IS NOT A CHEAP OR EASY JOB. GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. I will be posting a updated listing of a 2002 XC 70 that we are working on. Stay tuned. Any of your suggestions will be appreciated............. Thanks, Fixorsale!

Last edited by fixorsale; 02-14-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

One other thing...........
The ABS module failure can also cause the transmission to go into limp mode (safety mode) since the ABS module and the TCM (Transmission control module) works in conjuction with each other. You should re-learn your transmission after the replacement or repair of the module.

Last edited by swiftjustice44; 02-15-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: focus
Old 02-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The transmission does, in fact, have a filter. It is deep inside the unit and requires disassembly to change. In the service life of the vehicle, changing the filter is not necessary.

I recommend changing the solenoids after you do two fluid changes. Drain and fill with 4 qts, then drain again, change the solenoids, then add back 5 qts because you'll lose another qt changing the solenoids.

Of the vehicles that I have serviced for rough shifting, 100% of those have been corrected using new solenoids after the above procedure. The AW-55/50 is a great unit.

Questions, please pm me.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The solenoids are just a band aid fix. If you did the solenoids before the transmossion started acting up, you might have cured the problem for later but its no cigar.

It may be cheaper now for just changing the solenoids, but what ever damage that has been done inside the transmission can't be undone, even with flushing and so forth you will never truly fix it.

That is why I almost always recommend replacing the transmission with a Volvo rebuilt transmission. Those transmissions have better solenoids, remachined valve bodies, and surface, also some of the passages were changed.

Its cheaper in the long run if you count your time, and you will NEVER have to worry about problems with the reman, as long as you maintain it correctly.

Only time that I would recommend the solenoids is if it was caught very early on, or the customer wanted a band-aid fix to make it another 50,000 miles or so before junking the car (if those cars had 200k+ miles already)

Old 02-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned

Here is a site where 'Rob Reed' replaced his Valve Body

http://www.v70xc.com/resources/how-t...ment-Notes.pdf

Like I said before folks, If you love your volvo, do it right the first time. You do not want to do this Job twice. Either do a complete valve body rebuilt with the latest updates, or replace your transmission.
The choice is yours!!!!!!!

The reason i call it a partial rebuilt is because some of these Valve body rebuilders will replace a solenoid if it fails a Ohm test. You cannot truly rely on the Ohm test, especially if it is not under pressure, or power. Some valve bodies have bore wear, and will need to be re-machined to control fluid pressure at the end caps on the valve body. This is why it it so important to have your valve body totally rebuilt even if you think all you need is the three Linear solenoids. Or as Lifesgoodhere has recommended: Change your tranny!

Last edited by fixorsale; 02-14-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 AM

The cost of replacing a transmission is cost-prohibitive to most people. The rough shifting can be corrected in most cases with the solenoid change.

Like I have said before, if you have questions, PM me and I will be glad to help.

Take care and always, be objective in your decisions.

Last edited by JPN; 02-15-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Removed comments that may appear rude to others
The following users liked this post:
myR (10-07-2023)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With as much work that needs to be done replacing just the solenoids, you can have the entire transmission replaced in the same time it takes to replace the solenoids.

"Oh its too expensive", well its a gamble that the solenoids will actually fix the problem permanently, and if it doesn't work, you are throwing your money away.

From a shop standpoint, where I am, we would possibly have to replace the transmission for free if the solenoids didn't fix the problem.

(we caught someone trying to scam us this way a few weeks back, solenoids went out, which he did himself, and we "finished" it when he messed up -- blamed it all on us when all we did was put the transmission back in the car.)

most places work with you on payment plans.

Last edited by JPN; 02-15-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Removed unsuitable comment
Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Banned

Today, we are removing a valve body on a 2002 xc70, (90k miles) and replacing it with a rebuilt one. We did the 3 linear solenoid replacement (just to prove a point) to no avail (still had flaring). This will be our second try, if this does not work, then we would have the Transmission rebuilt, that would be three times we would have to drop the sub-frame and lower the engine. We are Mechanics and we have lifts, If you had to pay for this little knowledge Journey, you could be paying a whole lot of money. Get it right the first time. Stay tuned we will continue to update everyone on our progress...................

I am not saying that everyone will experience this problem, you just might (50/50 chance) get away with just replacing the solenoids, if you are sending the car down the road (passing the problem to someone else). But if you love your volvo, like I do, then do it right the first time.

Last edited by fixorsale; 02-15-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: had to include more info on this car
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A Comment from a Moderator

Dear Gents,

I'm sorry that some of you are having tranny issues with your Volvo. Tranny issues are usually costly and people would want to fix the trouble at a reasonable cost without further trouble. However, in some cases replacing the tranny may be the only way to solve the problem.

Please note, that Volvos are the most choosy vehicles when it comes to the quality of parts. Always try to stick with the OEM brand or genuine Volvo parts.

P.S. Those of you who have questions/comments for tony1963, please use PM as tony has been requesting so. However, please do not abuse PM to send negative comments.

Appreciate your cooperation.

JPN

Old 02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned

Hey 'tony1963' your comments are welcomed here on this thread. we might not agree most of the time, but I am sure someone here will find your replys usefull.

Last edited by fixorsale; 02-15-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Let's review my original post from the original thread:

"The problem that I have previously solved is a transmission that shifts normally when first driven, and then shifts harshly when warmed up. These are hard shifts both up and down, but most of the time you notice hard downshifts when coming to a stop."

As everyone can clearly see, I'm not referring to flared shifts, slipping or any other problem. Simply hard shifts. To constantly refer to other problems and then declare my advice invalid does not add credibility to your argument fixorsale.

My suggestions here were to offer a solution to what many end up replacing the transmission to solve.

Last edited by swiftjustice44; 02-15-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Removing for focus
The following 2 users liked this post by tony1963:
AnotherVolvoLover (05-21-2020), myR (10-07-2023)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

Ok folks, here is the latest and the greatest on the 2002 XC70 with 90K miles.

We removed the valve body, and after futher examination we found that one of the bore's were worn. This bore is on the 'rear control of the valve body. Sonax makes a repair kit for this. It is call the LPC Accumlator Piston Kit. Part #59947-LPC. This paticular piston is known to wear the bore. Now we got some idea as to why the replacement of the Linear soleniods did not work................Stay tuned,

Old 02-17-2012, 04:37 AM

No one would replace solenoids for flaring on shifts or slipping. We fail to see the point of you giving us a step-by-step on a transmission repair that is not an issue. However, if it makes you feel better, please continue.

The following users liked this post:
myR (10-07-2023)