1) Alternator inter-changability and 2) lots of exhaust smoke now that its cold out

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1) Alternator inter-changability and 2) lots of exhaust smoke now that its cold out

Hi Everyone.

1) The alternator on my daily '93 245 decided to die now that winter is coming to the NE. I have a project '92 245, and a parts car '89 244 GL. I was wondering if I could swap out either alternator for the bad one in the '93? I'd prefer to use the '89 parts car alternator, but if that won't work I can use the '92's.

I've searched the web and got conflicting information, so before I do a swap and mess up something electrical I thought I'd ask here.

2) Also, this is my first winter with the '93 245 daily, and there seems to be an excessive amount of exhaust smoke now that the cold weather is here. I've always thought the gas mileage on the car was low, and it seems to lack a bit of power, but nothing excessive. Now that its cold here, I have an large amount of exhaust smoke continuously. I was expecting there to be some on start up and diminish as the car/exhaust heated up, but the smoke never dissipates. In the summer the only time I had any real exhaust smoke was if the car sat for several days. Then there was an initial burst of blue/oil smoke, but in a few seconds it would disappear, and run fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2017, 11:18 AM

Yes to number 1.

Smoke or steam? By product of combustion is mostly steam.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:21 AM

Tryingbe, My friend's '89 240 also has an exhaust plume upon start up. The plume diminishes as the car heats ups and runs, plus the quantity of the '89's exhaust plume is probably a quarter of what comes off my '93. In addition the exhaust off my '93 has a distinct odour that my friend's '89 doesn't have.I'm guessing the '93's plume isn't just steam.

The odour off the '93 is hard to describe. Its not a distinct oil or sulphur smell, but maybe a combination of both. It will definitely linger on your clothes though..

Thanks

Old 12-03-2017, 06:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What were the results of a compression and leak down test. Did you do a pressure test on your cooling system. What is wrong with the alternator . Is it just a bad regulator. Also if the mounting tabs are the same and the pulleys line up it shouldn't be a problem swapping out the alternators.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

you could have a friend follow you just after cold startup and see if there is water coming out of the tailpipe and see if the exhaust plume diminishes when things heat up.
how is the color of the end of the tailpipe? black? or steamed clean? could indicate a failing head gasket if you are losing coolant as well.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A bad head gasket will either contaminate your oil and it will look milky brown and over filled. Or you will see signs of water/antifreeze on the side of the engine block. Or you will over pressurize the coolant tan and it will blow out the pressure cap and you will see a lot of bubbles in the coolant tank. Also you will have to continue to fill your coolant tank. You will also smell antifreeze.
You will usually see white smoke on start up until the engine warms up and the exhaust system gets hot. It is normal but in cold weather the condensation will last longer.