1979 Volvo 242 GT cranking issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 Volvo 242 GT cranking issue

hello, i have a Volvo 242 GT with a B21a motor that I just bought about two months ago. It was not running because the previous owner has rebuilt the whole bottom end by replacing the crankshaft, bearings (because before this he had spun a bearing but there was no damage to the block), piston rings and other things. So now that I finally got the engine ready to turn over with the started, I first tried to use a breaker bar just to make sure but it was dead solid. I called up the previous owner and asked him what he thought I should do, he wanted to stop by and see if he could spot anything out of place but when he came by he said it was normal after being rebuilt, with about 100flbs he cranked it over and it moved, once he did it a couple more times it got easier and easier to the point of 50-70flbs but when you would stop for 30seconds it would become hard as a rock, I don’t think there is just a hard spot because I got it to turn over 360 degrees while at a lower foot pound. Is this normal for a newly rebuilt motor??

Old 08-04-2018, 09:23 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

No. Something is wrong. I had the very same issue years ago on a 1982 vintage GM 3.8. What we discovered is that a couple of the bearing caps on the rods were put on backwards and the wrong rod. Switched it all around and it turned over smoothly.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:56 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

No, it's not normal but hard to tell what's really causing it without knowing what the rebuilder did and how much he knows... unfortunately, well, in this case you may have to start from scratch.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would pull the pan and mains and check for clearances. See what the plastigage says. Go from there.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by lev
No, it's not normal but hard to tell what's really causing it without knowing what the rebuilder did and how much he knows... unfortunately, well, in this case you may have to start from scratch.
thanks for the advise, the previous owner was the one who rebuild the engine and he had a detailed handbook on all the engine specs but, I don’t know if he even checked the clearances though( I will ask him and get back to you). I know a lot about cars but I’m not confident enough to take the engine out and rebuild it. I will probably just leave the engine in the car and check to see if the bearing caps are on backwards and check the clearances, do you think there is anything else that could be causing it?

Old 08-04-2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963
No. Something is wrong. I had the very same issue years ago on a 1982 vintage GM 3.8. What we discovered is that a couple of the bearing caps on the rods were put on backwards and the wrong rod. Switched it all around and it turned over smoothly.
ok, I will be sure to check the bearing caps, I texted he and he said he did not replace the rods, thanks for the advice!

Old 08-04-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I would pull the pan and mains and check for clearances. See what the plastigage says. Go from there.
ok, what should I do if the plastigauge reads uneven clearances?

Old 08-04-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by BuiltByCole

ok, what should I do if the plastigauge reads uneven clearances?
This would be back to tearing down the engine and rebuilding it to spec. With the plugs out the engine should turn pretty freely by hand. Someone didn't do something right so now you need to start over again. At this point you don't know if it's the mains , rods or rings that are causing the problem.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:23 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Engine rebuild is not for the novice! I tried it once, in 1973, Pontiac 215CID, and it ran, badly... I would never do it again: way too much work requiring a lot of measuring, machining, special tools, trips to the store, etc. To do it right is cost prohibitive. Luckily, Volvo motors are rarely in need of a total rebuild, and if you need a motor just get a used one--they are plentiful and cheap, or just buy a whole running car and get the motor, you'll still be much cheaper than doing a rebuild unless of course you want to... I actually stay away from "rebuilt" engines. Of the eight Volvos I have the worst one has a rebuilt engine, I'd much rather have a miler with good past maintenance. Same with transmissions, a rebuilt never last well, usually 25% of the original... My experiences.

Last edited by lev; 08-05-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

These are not old small block Chevy engines. Rebuilding engines is basically a thing of the past. In days gone by, those old cast iron blocks would wear out. Today, you can measure the cylinder walls and find that they are still new specs even after 150k miles. These are aluminum block engines with high silica content.

However, the red block engine he has I wouldn't give up too easily.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 PM

I've managed to rebuild 2 engines in my lifetime as a shade tree mechanic. The 1st was a 63 Corvette 327 CI 300 hp and other then doing the boring and honing everything else is just measure/size and assemble. Didn't need to plane the deck or heads as they were in spec. The other was a 76 Jaguar 5.3L V12 which was a sleeved engine so no machine work but replaced some sleeves. That one cost me but it was a fun winter project. Other then that I did a 350 CI GM but started with a short block and built and assembled the components. I see the Red block as a pretty simple job but as mentioned they usually don't go bad or the worse thing would be to replace rods and pistons. Then again to get one from a wreck would be the easiest way to go. We have 373 K on our 89 740 so when it goes I'll most likely just pick up a used one . If the OP wants to pull his motor apart and fix what the problem is well good for him. If he doesn't have the skills then he'll have a problem. So I guess he needs to make a "make or buy" decision.