1980 Volvo 240 Wont stay running at idle ***UPDATE***

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Volvo 240 Wont stay running at idle ***UPDATE***

Hey guys I posted the other day about this vehicle and have done some troubleshooting and have came across a few things. First off, NO I haven't checked fuel pressure yet! I have realized over periods of time when I start the car it floods. It is getting plenty of fuel, I believe I am dealing with an air issue now. As I was reading bout the K-Jet engines it states that the accelerator is used for pushing air into the engine. And during idle the Auxilary Air Valve is responsible for pushing air to the engine while the throttle is closed during engine warm up. For a while the car has needed a while to warm up before running as it should. I am wondering if this air valve isn't opening up and choking the engine. The car WILL run continuously until the throttle is closed and then the car stumbles and stalls. I can keep my foot on the accelerator forever and the car will not shut off. I looked at the injectors and they seemed OK, O-Rings and valves. I also saw some fuel on the valves so they must be working. There was a lot of black build up on the body of the injectors though. Vacuum lines looked ok and I checked flame trap and everything is clear and air is accessible. The port from the valve cover to flame trap had some build up gunk not sure what that is about. Does anyone know anything about these auxilary air valves? K-Jet green books states they rarely fail but it is possible. It just sounds like the exact problem I am dealing with. Thanks!!!!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go back and set the base idle. Pull the IAC hose off and plug it. Start the car and adjust the throttle stop screw until you get an idle of 500 rpm. Turn the adjustment screw until the car will start and idle then adjust it to 500 rpm. You may want to look into the throttle body and see if it is dirty and if so clean it with carb cleaner. Don't get the TPS wet. So if it is running at 500 rpm then connect the IAC hose and it should automatically adjust to 750-800 rpm. Let us know how you make out

Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 AM

Remove Kjet, set on fire. Problem solved.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:57 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

a 1980 k-jet probably doesn't have a idle controller unless its a California car, instead they had said 'auxilliary air valve', which was a much cruder system.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Ok everyone. SO I have removed the auxiliary air valve and the valve was completely closed. I removed the air valve and checked vacuum lines and cleaned them. I also sprayed the air valve with carb cleaner to try and loosen it up but no luck. It is my understanding from the K-Jet website that the valve should be open when cold and close gradually as the engine warms up. So I am assuming the air valve is bad and stuck closed which would explain the no idle when cold. After putting everything back together we can't get the car to turn over now but it really wants to. I also noticed the small silver square relay on the inner fender well beside the battery is really old. I do feel it clicking though. I was told that this relay controls the air valve, frequency valve, etc. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks! BTW, I am deciding on buying an air valve. I saw a cheap one on eBay that the seller said came from a working car.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Also this engine has a lot of oil gunk and build up on the engine and vacuum lines. I can guarantee this is what is gunking up the auxiliary air valve.