1983 Volvo 245GLT Turbo wagon, sat 3 years, no fuel pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1983 Volvo 245GLT Turbo wagon, sat 3 years. Side project with updates.

I have a question because after all of the research ive done im at a loss. I am trying to start a 1983 volvo 245 turbo wagon, single overhead cam, fuel injected. I have spark, and air, but no fuel. Removal of the fuel line from the fuel rail confirms that im not getting any gas to the engine. I tested the fuel pump relay, and it clicks when I start to turn over the vehicle, and when I stop turning the engine over, slightly later, maybe half a second, it clicks again. This makes me believe that the relay is functioning properly I also opened up the relay and visually inspected it and it looks brand-spankin new. I had a friend sit in the back with a multimeter to test if the in tank fuel pump was getting voltage, and he read around 12v at the connector to the in tank pump/sending unit. Also, when I turn on the ignition, I don't hear any priming either. I also hear no noise from the main pump. My thoughts are that both pumps are dead but I feel like that cant be a coincidence. I think i'm going to go out and buy two pumps tomorrow, but I'm concerned that something else is the issue here, since both don't seem to be doing anything. If you guys need pictures please let me know, and ill get them on here asap.

EDIT:
Finally got the car out of the grass and onto the driveway. Inspecting the underside of the car right now. Took this picture. Was wondering if yall can spot anything off. the diff is looking a little concerning to me, but I'll leave it to you guys tell me if theres something wrong. I'll also attach images of the whole car. Its covered in moss, I'll be pressure washing it tomorrow, and will attempt to bring the paint back somewhat to life a little later with some polish on some unaffected/ rust free panels.

EDIT 2: Pictures of the interior after cleaning up what was previously considered a spider dungeon. Threw in some pics of the engine bay aswell. After taking the quickest cam peek ever, seems really healthy for 249k miles.

Last edited by Taylor Craig; 07-05-2020 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-04-2020, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor Craig
I have a question because after all of the research ive done im at a loss. I am trying to start a 1983 volvo 245 turbo wagon, single overhead cam, fuel injected. I have spark, and air, but no fuel. Removal of the fuel line from the fuel rail confirms that im not getting any gas to the engine. I tested the fuel pump relay, and it clicks when I start to turn over the vehicle, and when I stop turning the engine over, slightly later, maybe half a second, it clicks again. This makes me believe that the relay is functioning properly I also opened up the relay and visually inspected it and it looks brand-spankin new. I had a friend sit in the back with a multimeter to test if the in tank fuel pump was getting voltage, and he read around 12v at the connector to the in tank pump/sending unit. Also, when I turn on the ignition, I don't hear any priming either. I also hear no noise from the main pump. My thoughts are that both pumps are dead but I feel like that cant be a coincidence. I think i'm going to go out and buy two pumps tomorrow, but I'm concerned that something else is the issue here, since both don't seem to be doing anything. If you guys need pictures please let me know, and ill get them on here asap.
ALSO The tank was nearly completely empty when I threw new gas into it, also threw in some injector cleaner.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

could be some crud in the bottom of the tank clogging the pick up or a clogged filter or line. Can you disconnect the line at the filter and the rail and push some air through it? You may need to drain and clean the tank as well.