91 240 wagon fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 91 240 wagon fuel issues

Ok guys so I just bought a 91 240 wagon from my neighbor it was his mothers car and it was garage kept and maintained religiously up until her passing well after she passed away he drove it for about a year and then he and his wife bought a new car and they parked it in the garage and covered it up 5 years ago and haven't touched it since well I talked him into letting me get it so my dad could have something nicer than his old truck to drive and went and charged the battery up changed the oil and put in some fuel treatment and it fired right up... After a few minor issues it was running great. Then my dad drove it to play golf about 30 minutes from our house and it started stumbling and running rough like it was running out of fuel on his way back he pulled over cut the car off and let it sit for a minute and then started it back up and all was fine. He made it home and I changed the fuel filter and it was NASTY looked like bright orange mud.... So after that it was running fine again well 2 days after that it started acting up again doing the same thing. When it starts running rough the fuel pump gets louder and it loses all power, it never cuts off but it won't rev up at all. You can cut the car off and it will start right back up and run fine for a while then it will start acting up again and the fuel pump gets loud again..... Before I change the fuel filter again does anyone have ideas on what it might be? Does the fuel pump have a strainer on it? If so is there accsess to it without dropping the tank? Should I drop the tank and have it cleaned it out? And then clean out the lines going to the fuel pump somehow? Thanks for any help guys!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 AM

Fuel relay problem?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM

Will the fuel pump relay cause the problems like running rough? I figured if the relay was bad it would either just run or not run.. Is there anyway to test the relay or is it best to just replace it? Sorry if this has been a topic I could search for some reason on my iPad when I try to search it takes me back to the login page

Old 05-05-2012, 03:49 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

well, there's probably crud in the fuel tank, as you said, the filter was nasty, so likely BOTH fuel pumps are somewhat clogged, and maybe the injection is too, if it got past the filter.

there's two fuel pumps, a low pressure 'delivery' pump is in the fuel tank, and the main fuel injection pump is under the car. the fuel system is a loop, the fuel is delivered to the fuel rail on the engine taht the injectors come off of, then goes into the fuel pressure regulator, and then back to the fuel pump. the delivery pump is likely clogged up.

normally, when you turn the ignition on, the pumps both run for just a second to build fuel pressure, then stop until the car is started, then they come on and stay on.

see here for the intank pump
In the Tank - 240 Volvo Tank Pump and Sender

oh, rather than trying to rebuild it like that page talks, I'd be more inclined to get genuine Volvo replacement parts from TascaParts.com after confirming the pump is the problem. that page outlines a bunch of electrical tests before you start taking stuff apart.