Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

"96 Turbo Wagon Died while driving home, won't start? Fuel issues, need suggestions

Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "96 Turbo Wagon Died while driving home, won't start? Fuel issues, need suggestions

My wagon has been running great for a long time. Had a week job in Medford, OR. Car ran great there and back to Portland. Good gas mileage, etc. Came off the freeway after driving just over 4 hours straight, and within a mile, it died while coming to a stop light.

Now just 15 feet before I felt a miss, gauges seem to indicate a potential die, however, once I came to a stop, the engine was verfied stopped. Won't start, would turn over. Pushed to side of road. Turned over like it was not getting fuel. Had over 5 gals in tank. All fluids are good. Called Farmers for a tow home. While waiting it almost started, ran a couple of seconds a very low rpm, like again a fuel issue or a fuel mixture (lean or rich), then nothing, just cranking.

Rain started up here in Portland, so tomorrow I will get the pop-up out and to stay dry while I figure this out.

Any known issues with fuel pump failures, fuel filter clog, etc. that one could help me in the proper diection? I don't have a scanner (been on wish list but work has been really slow). Since it won't start can't take it to AutoZone around the corner.

1996 Volvo Turbo Wagon with a 165,000 on the clock.

Thanks so much for your upcoming guideance.
Ray

Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, you are kidding right? Asking about fuel pump issuses. All old cars have fuel pump issuses. Now for some useful information... fuel relays and pumps fail. Do some reading around here, relays have high failure rates.

Also, some of these Auto Zone places will let you barrow their meter if you leave a deposit or something.

Last edited by rspi; 03-04-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also there is the potential that you popped a intake hose somewhere between the MAF and throttle body. There would need to be a pretty good leak though but possible.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure sounds like the fuel pump but here's what you can do to verify:
  1. Ck for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If you don't have a gauge at least press the shrader valve for sec; see if any fuel comes out (after you had just tried starting it). If barely any or none dribble out -> fuel pressure problem. Assuming this is what you found, continue to #2..
  2. Could still be fuel pump relay. You could bypass the relay but i would go directly to the fuel pump access cover. Pop off the cover and rap on the top of the fuel pump assembly a few times with/hammer. If it starts up and runs (even briefly) you need a fuel pump. You could also ck for 12V at the pump assembly while there (during cranking); if no voltage, go back to the relay.
If it's the fuel pump, IPD has them right there in Portland; bummer they're not open on the weekend though. Here's the link; will have to take yours out and measure diameter; hopefully you got the 43mm one...

Old 03-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Great suggestions. Also caught a cold while away on work assignment. Rain stopped, I will start to investigte shortly and post update.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Gdog,
Great tips. No gas coming out from shrader valve. Heard rely running in engine compartment. Tap on feul pump, car started, ran briefly and died. Must be pump. Check IPD (as I live in Portland) and they are out of stock. WOW, Jim Fisher Volvo wants $495 for the complete assembly. IPD suggests also to replace the whole assembly. Guess I am waiting for a week or so, as IPD says they ship within 8 days of the order. One of my many friends will check with the local parts house for mechanic shops and he usually sells me parts at his cost. See what Monday brings.

thanks all. Have a great weekend. Will check back.

Ray

Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM

I am getting 10.6 volts to the pump while cranking, so now I have to take the plung and get the pump. Thanks All.
Ray

Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxray
Gdog,
Great tips. No gas coming out from shrader valve. Heard rely running in engine compartment. Tap on feul pump, car started, ran briefly and died. Must be pump. Check IPD (as I live in Portland) and they are out of stock. WOW, Jim Fisher Volvo wants $495 for the complete assembly. IPD suggests also to replace the whole assembly. Guess I am waiting for a week or so, as IPD says they ship within 8 days of the order. One of my many friends will check with the local parts house for mechanic shops and he usually sells me parts at his cost. See what Monday brings.

thanks all. Have a great weekend. Will check back.

Ray
Yeah i know they suggest you replace the whole assembly but if the plastic assembly on yours isn't broken, and you don't break it when taking out the old pump (takes reasonable care..) then you can buy just the pump, and refit it to your assembly.

Suggest you go with Bosch for correct fit (diameter-wise) and quality; so will be either 9480152A (43mm) or 9480152B (38mm). Mine went out last year and it was the 43mm one, so maybe that's the more common one. Shows they have one of each in stock at IPD.

Here's the thread about mine going out:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...ight=fuel+pump

Old 03-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

FCP can ship you a pump pretty fast if you need them to.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:17 PM

Tore the pump out of the car. Saw that the lower rubber gasket that surronds the pump at the bottom of the assembly has deteriorated and there were strands. cleaned that all up, took pump out of plastice housing and then re-assembled. Tried it out and the pump is intermittant. So, I see that there is no replacement of that rubber gasket. So I am going to go with a new complete unit.

I do see that FCP Grotten has them in stock. Will check with everyone on Monday to see about getting one sent to me.

Gdog, do you live in the Portland area? Saw you write about your failed pump last Sept.
Ray

Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM

My local mechanic buddy who owns a VW repair shop got me the parts this morning. Called him at 8:45, had the parts at 10:30 and the car running by noon. Saved a few dollars and also didn't have to pay for shipping. Now I can go to work this afternoon and the rest of the week.

Gdog, thanks so much fo you tips.
Ray

PS: this thread is now closed.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all of these are excellant suggestions , try the fuel pump relay first then do what boxpin ,rspi ,gdog, has suggested ,from what i've seen they are the most reliable people here !