1986 240DL Engine Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 240DL Engine Cutout

Hello everyone! I've had some problems and thought I could use the help of some Volvo experts. A couple of days ago I was sitting at a stoplight and I got rear ended from a little toyota sedan going about 45mph. Let me just say that my trust in the safety of Volvo cars has escalated to an alltime high since the accident. Her entire front end was pushed in WAY past the radiator, and my rear bumper is still intact. It's simply amazing. I hit my head pretty hard, but no whiplash or any of the bad stuff, walked away from it fine, but it has only been a few days, hopefully I don't develop any pains here in the next few days Anyways, here's what happened.

The car has over 200,000 miles on it, but I maintain it very regularly and take good care of it

The day after the wreck I was driving and all of a sudden the car just shut off, I was going 45-50 mph. I had to cut the coast for a while to pull off into the nearest exit.

I got the car towed to a repair shop, and they were able to drive it off of the tow truck and drive it around for a while with no problems :O

At first I thought it had something to do with the fuel pump system, but now I have no idea.

So my question is, does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong? Based on the idea of me getting hit pretty hard in the back, are there any vital parts back there that would cause the engine to just cut off like that?

I was lucky enough that when I stalled last time I was able to pull off somewhere, however I'm really worried that this might happen again at the wrong time and something bad may happen.

Any input would be appreciated! Thank you very much!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1986 240DL Engine Cutout

Look at the air mass sensor and see if the housing is cracked. This happend to mine in an accident.

The fuel pump relay is a white relay above the passengers right foot (behind the carpet) Flick it a few times with your thumb and forfinger the next time car cuts out. If car now starts you need a fuel pump relay.

If neither of these two things helps then check for gas, check for spark, check for fuel injector pulse with logic probe or timing light (clamp inductive pickup on one wire crank and check for pulse) , go from there.

Let us know what you find.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1986 240DL Engine Cutout

Thank you for your input! Ends up it was the fuel pump relay. New one ordered and put in and it runs great now! We knwe it was either the air or fuel system, ends up it was the fuel. Thanks guys!